PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just tell me when you are ready to finish the wiring.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

hot damn, tabs are done, I just need to drill me some holes and bolt her in

Last edited by moregrip; 10-01-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that looks good

Bill
Old 10-02-2007, 03:18 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Wow, that looks good

Bill
thanks Bill, in retrospect I should have just bought an inter-cooler tank from Trick in terms of bolt in ease. I'm about at even money right now but with a lot more thought and time put into this setup
Old 10-02-2007, 05:06 PM
what a rush!

anyone use one of these to pre-lube their engine?

GM
New engine prelube tool. General Motors has recently developed an engine prelubrication tool with its tool supplier, Kent-Moore. The preluber consists of a 2-gallon container, hand pump, flexible hose, adapter set and an instruction sheet. Properly used, the tool injects clean engine oil into the lubrication system, helping to prevent dry starts on new, remanufactured or overhauled engines.

Following the instructions included with the tool will allow the main bearings, connecting rod bearings and oil pump to get a healthy dose of lube. Use more than the minimum recommended amount of oil and the cam bearings and other valvetrain components will also be lubricated.

Last edited by moregrip; 10-02-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by moregrip
hot damn, tabs are done, I just need to drill me some holes and bolt her in

LOVE THE I/C TANK... BITCHEN LOOK....
Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by moregrip
anyone use one of these to pre-lube their engine?

GM
New engine prelube tool. General Motors has recently developed an engine prelubrication tool with its tool supplier, Kent-Moore. The preluber consists of a 2-gallon container, hand pump, flexible hose, adapter set and an instruction sheet. Properly used, the tool injects clean engine oil into the lubrication system, helping to prevent dry starts on new, remanufactured or overhauled engines.

Following the instructions included with the tool will allow the main bearings, connecting rod bearings and oil pump to get a healthy dose of lube. Use more than the minimum recommended amount of oil and the cam bearings and other valvetrain components will also be lubricated.
That sounds awesome
Old 10-02-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks really nice Grippy. So how long till it is making some noise??
Old 10-02-2007, 08:09 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Grippy,
I've studied several pre-lubricators of similar design. I think that you could make the same thing by buying a new garden sprayer and making a fitting or rubber cone attachment for the spray nozzle. Then clean the tank and line with some solvent and blow dry with compressed air. Put six quarts of oil in the tank and pump up the pressure. Then inject the oil either where the oil pressure sensor goes or in the aft oil journal (after the oil filter) on the left side of the block.

Now, I suspect that Rex lubed the bearings (cam/main/rod) along with a light coat of lubricant on the cylinders, piston skirts and ring land areas. It's probably unnecessary to do a pre-lube. You might want to get Richard's or Rex's opinion on this.

Otherwise, the Kent-Moore tool looks fine. I've bought several of their tools in the past (rear seal installer and others). However, I don't know how absolutely necessary it was to do so for a one time use.

In my mind, I can hear the engine fire for the first time now!

All my best,

Steve
Old 10-02-2007, 09:14 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Steve Bryant
Grippy,
I've studied several pre-lubricators of similar design. I think that you could make the same thing by buying a new garden sprayer and making a fitting or rubber cone attachment for the spray nozzle. Then clean the tank and line with some solvent and blow dry with compressed air. Put six quarts of oil in the tank and pump up the pressure. Then inject the oil either where the oil pressure sensor goes or in the aft oil journal (after the oil filter) on the left side of the block.

Now, I suspect that Rex lubed the bearings (cam/main/rod) along with a light coat of lubricant on the cylinders, piston skirts and ring land areas. It's probably unnecessary to do a pre-lube. You might want to get Richard's or Rex's opinion on this.

Otherwise, the Kent-Moore tool looks fine. I've bought several of their tools in the past (rear seal installer and others). However, I don't know how absolutely necessary it was to do so for a one time use.

In my mind, I can hear the engine fire for the first time now!

All my best,

Steve

Steve,
Rex and Richard took real good care of me, we assembled the bulk of th engine with Kendall 30wt oil(the old green stuff) and then used Ackerly and Childs Xtreme "piston ring break-in oil" on the piston rings and piston skirts.

the motor has been sitting since December 06 and that's why I'm interested in pre-lubing the motor, otherwise I wouldn't sweat it.

Last edited by moregrip; 10-02-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install