PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
I think that's for engines with the old fashioned flat tappet cams. They need a break-in period of about 20 minutes at around 2500 rpm. A prolonged steady heat blast like that might damage brand new ceramic headers. Fortunately our engines use roller cams, which require no break-in.
Actually it has more to do with all the clearances being tighter, and causing more heat overall. I ruined my first set of coated headers by not following those directions, the coating started peeling off within 3000 miles..
Old 10-13-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Grippy, I just started up my Camaro Thursday night for the first time in over 2 years with the newly rebuilt engine. I was so excited I danced a jig. I can understand your current anticipation.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by moregrip
just an FYI, there is no chrome on my motor, it is all polished metal
Shiny nevertheless.

I like that idea of saving ebay pics. Great idea.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC

WARNING! Breaking in an engine with ceramic-coated headers WILL result in damage to the coating and will VOID all warranties. Ceramic-coated headers require several heat cycles to fully cure before they will withstand extreme heat. HOOKER recommends using a cast-iron exhaust manifold or an old header to break in new engines to avoid coating damage.
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/.../199R10352.pdf

Anyone know if this is true?
From experience, if your tune it off, it might crack the coating but ceramic is tough so, I broke in two engines with my ceramic coated headers.....never a problem. The ceramic did have some run time on the old engine though so that might have helped.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:14 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
Well Grippy, I just started up my Camaro Thursday night for the first time in over 2 years with the newly rebuilt engine. I was so excited I danced a jig. I can understand your current anticipation.

thanks zippy
Old 10-13-2007, 11:05 AM
what a rush!

ok, so maybe there is going to be a little bit............there were a few bolts I could not source @ ARP and in some cases could not source in SS so I went ahead and sent a few pieces out for chrome, will tie everything together nicely IMO:

Old 10-13-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

I've ran accross that coating issue before. The older engines with a flat tappet cam have to be run in to break in the cam. That involves around 2000rpm with the vehicle in neutral or park. This creates alot of heat usually due to a lean condition as well as no air getting past the headers. If you plan to run the engine for very long when it's fresh like that, I've found that the only way to not discolor headers is to place fans blowing down at the headers. When I run in any fresh engine with headers I always put a fan or two in front of the radiator and one blowing in on each header. This not only keeps the coating cooler, but keeps the headers from melting wires or anything near them. It also keeps the e-fans from having to work very hard to cool the engine. I try to not have to run the fans any more than I have to during a run in.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:55 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
damn shame....I JUST threw the chrome coil brackets and heater hose bracket away two weeks ago.
and you didn't even think of me

you never looked for those SS bolts either did ya?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:57 PM
what a rush!

update: No work will get done on the truck for the next 3 weeks, off to go control some F-18's for a while
Old 10-13-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moregrip
update: No work will get done on the truck for the next 3 weeks, off to go control some F-18's for a while
Truck is a hobby... we'll be here when you get back bro Controlling F-18's... whatchu mean? In a round about very general way how do you go about doing that not on a carrier? I tell ya what... I've had the pleasure of working with a couple of former Nukes... one submariner and one carrier... who is now a GENIII/IV tuner ... classy guys the Navy puts out for us

Bill

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install