PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Hey Kevin, I have been meaning to ask you....How is that Trailblazer SS you dont have?
Oh, I've got one now, didn't have it when you last asked.

And it's just fine, thanks.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:41 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been getting some random P0420 codes lately that I have cleared and wanted to share what the explination for them was. This is from oxidizr, and is a common occurance when switching to LT's & high flow cats. I figured it might help some of you guys out in the future during your switch. It certainly cleared things up for me:

"Cat low efficiency (420/430) simple means the change between measured o2 before and after cat is too close ... High flow cats often suffer from this coupled behind LT headers.
This code only appears after prolonged low throttle freeway speed cruising .. should not appear during usual daily driving traffic. This is a function of reduced residence time or for a lack of better terms too short a burn period in the cat. As a cat flows better, the gasses pass through faster, burning off less of the residual fuel before the sensor can read it. The lower "measured" conversion rate may cause the code but more times than not has no bearing on the tail pipe emissions."

did I ever mention how smart this guy is? damn impressive

Last edited by moregrip; 04-25-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

If the goal of a catalytic converter is to convert, I don't see how little to no conversion ("the change between measured o2 before and after cat is too close..." as quoted from above) could be good. Sounds like the new cats aren't doing their job (at least at highway speeds), and the thrown code is an indicator of this.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Moderator / Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TBSS
If the goal of a catalytic converter is to convert, I don't see how little to no conversion ("the change between measured o2 before and after cat is too close..." as quoted from above) could be good. Sounds like the new cats aren't doing their job (at least at highway speeds), and the thrown code is an indicator of this.
It's a good thing I don't rely upon what you think and actually know what I'm talking about. You have honestly got to be the most negative and ill willed person I have ever come to know ... do you do anything other than critique thigns you don't fully understand and thread follow people you don't like? geez. I hope i read this right, but man .. I just don't get your tone sometimes.

A job of a catalytic convertor is to convert. True, but not convert O2 ... HC and NOx are the culprit gases ... unfortunately we don't have HC and NOx sensors on cars and the O2 content is used for reference. Your O2 sensors are total incapable of knowing how much conversion really happens and they can at best, only estimate based upon some crude O2 crosscounts. Put it this way ... a devise simply containing a high syria content wash coat on a ceramic substrate that had no effect on emissions conversions (0 precious metals) can keep lights from triggering.

The reason Car Sound/ Magnaflow cats do not contian such a high syria content washcoat is because we are not in the buisness of "fooling" sensors ... our cats are formulated for conversion (As a matter of fact the cats in question here are already EPA approved peding CARB with the loading as noted.) Understand that the addition of LT headers NOTORIOSLY effects residence time and O2 inefficiency codes ... few converters can maintain "normal" operation under these conditions.

Rest assureed the cats are fucntioning as designed and up to par.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

damn took me forever to read all this . nice set-up man and thanks for lesson i learned alot .
Old 03-19-2006, 09:06 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oxidizr
A job of a catalytic convertor is to convert. True, but not convert O2 ... HC and NOx are the culprit gases ... unfortunately we don't have HC and NOx sensors on cars and the O2 content is used for reference. Your O2 sensors are total incapable of knowing how much conversion really happens and they can at best, only estimate based upon some crude O2 crosscounts. Put it this way ... a devise simply containing a high syria content wash coat on a ceramic substrate that had no effect on emissions conversions (0 precious metals) can keep lights from triggering.

The reason Car Sound/ Magnaflow cats do not contian such a high syria content washcoat is because we are not in the buisness of "fooling" sensors ... our cats are formulated for conversion (As a matter of fact the cats in question here are already EPA approved peding CARB with the loading as noted.) Understand that the addition of LT headers NOTORIOSLY effects residence time and O2 inefficiency codes ... few converters can maintain "normal" operation under these conditions.

Good info Richard! Thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by oxidizr
It's a good thing I don't rely upon what you think and actually know what I'm talking about. You have honestly got to be the most negative and ill willed person I have ever come to know ... do you do anything other than critique thigns you don't fully understand and thread follow people you don't like? geez. I hope i read this right, but man .. I just don't get your tone sometimes.

Well that is certainly a much better explanation than the one previously given, which was incomplete at best.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I liked this thread better when it was about flowing fumes, not hot air. heh
Old 03-19-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the tips I have, they are a little bit on the dirty side due to rain:

They are Magnaflows.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:41 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
damn took me forever to read all this . nice set-up man and thanks for lesson i learned alot .
thanks bro

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install