PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:42 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrich
Here are the tips I have, they are a little bit on the dirty side due to rain:

They are Magnaflows.
go CLEAN those tips Nice choice btw.
As of today I am leaning towards no tips. However, the final decision will be between oxidizr and myself the day of
Old 03-20-2006, 12:01 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by James B.
I did a bologne snub cut similar to factory but deeper.

OK, I give, what the heck is a bologne snub cut? can't find any info on it. Got any links or info otherwise?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A snubbed boloney cut... lol

The tailpipes on my truck are nothing more than a pair of mandel-bent tubing sections sized and cut the way I want them. A "boloney cut" is where you hack off the pipe at an angle to create an oval opening. I wanted my oval on the same plane as the muffler, and a level matching the bottom of the muffler case.

I this picture you can see what I'm talking about for the oval cut on the turndown. I know it's dark and I can take some better ones tomorrow if it would help.

This picture was what the pipe looked like during mock-up before I chopped it.

As for the "snubbing", that's just cutting off the tip of it so it's not pointy. This cut is made perpendicularly to the tubing axis. It gives it an OEM look.

I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. It's exactly what I wanted, even the flat-black paint looks the way I want it to.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:20 AM
what a rush!

A snubbed boloney cut... lol

The tailpipes on my truck are nothing more than a pair of mandel-bent tubing sections sized and cut the way I want them. A "boloney cut" is where you hack off the pipe at an angle to create an oval opening. I wanted my oval on the same plane as the muffler, and a level matching the bottom of the muffler case.

I this picture you can see what I'm talking about for the oval cut on the turndown. I know it's dark and I can take some better ones tomorrow if it would help.

This picture was what the pipe looked like during mock-up before I chopped it.

As for the "snubbing", that's just cutting off the tip of it so it's not pointy. This cut is made perpendicularly to the tubing axis. It gives it an OEM look.

I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. It's exactly what I wanted, even the flat-black paint looks the way I want it to.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, got it.
I really like that snub cut you made. let be know how that BBQ paint holds up. I was thinking about thermal coating the whole exhaust or possibly just wrapping it.

Last edited by moregrip; 03-21-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:15 PM
what a rush!

little update:

was on the freeway today driving home and decided to see how my top end felt with the new system, so I conducted a WOT 3-4 run, going 65mph of course. With the new exhaust on, and even with the stock cam, the truck just kept pulling and pulling, I was surprised how one change made such a noticable difference at those speeds/load. If I had a full CAI I imagine it would have been even better.

just goes to show how a properly designed exhaust system can make a big impact in performance.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear! I experienced the same kind of top-end gains when I swapped out the cat-back for the 3" dual custom handywork myself. ...And that's saying a lot for an L31 with a stock cam fueled by stock injectors and Whippletronics at the time! Your truck must be an animal in the top end.

BTW, I've been using that barbeque paint on exhaust since I figured out how to weld. The stuff really works, it's available everywhere and dirt cheap!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:54 AM
How do I change this text

So that is what a Real exhaust shop looks lik, BTY the truck looks good too.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:28 PM
what a rush!

Good to hear! I experienced the same kind of top-end gains when I swapped out the cat-back for the 3" dual custom handywork myself. ...And that's saying a lot for an L31 with a stock cam fueled by stock injectors and Whippletronics at the time! Your truck must be an animal in the top end.

BTW, I've been using that barbeque paint on exhaust since I figured out how to weld. The stuff really works, it's available everywhere and dirt cheap!
Thanks James. I guess I don't really experiment with that kind of top end very often, however heavy my foot may be.
Amazing what a zero loss exhaust system can do for you. I'm sure those magnaflow cats will be available soon.

I still would like to get my WOT 3-4 shift firmed up a bit. When I change out converters I may open her up again and increase the size of the 3-4 hole from .096 to something larger.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see in ur sig you have a "rear bench seat" mod what are you doing to it?
Old 04-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I see in ur sig you have a "rear bench seat" mod what are you doing to it?
Yea dood and what do you mean by another radix? Are you goin with twins?

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install