PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't even believe this is happening again, its like deja vu except much worse!
What was wrong with the old set up?
Did you ever get a track time at least? Hope this one goes the way you want it.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:49 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
Finally going to slap a turbo on her and make some real power???
Let us hope....
Old 01-16-2009, 05:45 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in twice on the first page
Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

update:

after going to the San Diego Auto Show I realized there is an area I have not paid enough attention too on the build, namely, "the stance"

for the rear:

I was able to procure some NOS 1500series Hotchkis 4" drop leaf springs which I will use in conjunction with a pair of Belltech 3" drop shackles. One very appealing aspect of this setup is combining the compliant ride with the inherit stability of a full multi-leaf pack.
For those who have used the Hotchkis drop springs how much actual drop did you realize? same question for 6403 Belltech drop shackles? I'm guessing I'll see somewhere between 5 and 6 inches.......thoughts.

for the front:

haven't got the parts yet but I'm thinking drop keys and drop spindles, hoping for 3.5 to 4 inches actual.....thoughts?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put those leafs on my uncles ecsb. twice. the first set sagged about two inches after a couple of weeks. the second set sagged about a half inch and that was about it. pretty good ride though. they have been on there for about 2 years now and no problems. i dont remember how much total drop he got out of them though....
Old 01-16-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Hotchkis leafs with the shackles will come in around 5" or so too; and I think it'd be a good compromise between the stock HD leafs and the 1/2 ton leafs.

I don't; however, think that you'd be able to fit those 48x21.5 earth mover size slicks under the rear with that much drop though
Old 01-17-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had drop leafs in the back of my crew cab before. Didn't really like them much Grip. Swapped them out for a flip kit and notch and definetly like the stock leafs much better.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a profile shot of your truck. I want to lower it and see what it'll look like.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1TRUCKGUY
i put those leafs on my uncles ecsb. twice. the first set sagged about two inches after a couple of weeks. the second set sagged about a half inch and that was about it. pretty good ride though. they have been on there for about 2 years now and no problems. i dont remember how much total drop he got out of them though....
Originally Posted by StrokerAce03
I think the Hotchkis leafs with the shackles will come in around 5" or so too; and I think it'd be a good compromise between the stock HD leafs and the 1/2 ton leafs.

I don't; however, think that you'd be able to fit those 48x21.5 earth mover size slicks under the rear with that much drop though
I'm sure there will be some tweaking and peaking. I have various items to work with. Stock 2500HD leaf pack, stock 1500 leaf pack, Hotchkis leaf pack, stock shackles, velvet ride shackles, and the drop shackles. I should be able to put something together I like with those parts.

BTW, those slicks SHOULD still fit, I'm curious to see what I'll be working with as well though
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
I had drop leafs in the back of my crew cab before. Didn't really like them much Grip. Swapped them out for a flip kit and notch and definetly like the stock leafs much better.
good info, thanks bro
Old 01-17-2009, 01:45 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an HD as well that I was looking as dropping. Since you have the big wheels already the McGaughy's kit would work best but you have to run a 17 or bigger. So if you were looking to run some 16s at the track or whatever that would be a no go with their kit and the spindles. So instead I was looking at the DJM, it is lower control arms, shackles, and hangers. Just something to think about on the McGaughy's stuff, that is what is keeping me from ordering it right now because I wasnted to drop it, get it painted and then get the wheels. I also like the ability to run stock wheels and tires if I ever needed to

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install