PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I really suck at suspension advice Grippy but if it helps, PM Dezert1500. He knows more than a thing or two about how to lower a truck and not only keep the ride but improve the comfort. I've ridden in his slammed truck and it rode better than some high end luxury cars i've been in.
Sounds good, sent him a PM
Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like you're running stock 1500 springs, so I would run a flip kit out back and a shackle depending on desired drop. A flip kit will produce the best ride with those 1500 springs. Leaf springs in general already ride pretty ruff and from my experience a drop leaf spring will just make the ride worse. If they don't offer flip kits for the HD's then a flip kit can be made fairly easy if you have access to the proper tools. All you need is some flat plate, ubolts, and an axle leaf perch. The positive of making you're own flip kit is you can decide on drop distance with the axle leaf perch used. You can also set the pinion angle with the leaf perches not having to rely on pinion shims. Ideally you want to keep the perch short so you dont transfer leverage to the leafs under accel which causes axle wrap.

Once you decide the rear plan of attack and drop amount you can move onto the front drop to get your desired stance. The key to a quality riding vehicle is ample up travel, proper spring rate, front a-arm geometry, good bump stops, and quality shocks valved for the intended application.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:21 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
It looks like you're running stock 1500 springs, so I would run a flip kit out back and a shackle depending on desired drop. A flip kit will produce the best ride with those 1500 springs. Leaf springs in general already ride pretty ruff and from my experience a drop leaf spring will just make the ride worse. If they don't offer flip kits for the HD's then a flip kit can be made fairly easy if you have access to the proper tools. All you need is some flat plate, ubolts, and an axle leaf perch. The positive of making you're own flip kit is you can decide on drop distance with the axle leaf perch used. You can also set the pinion angle with the leaf perches not having to rely on pinion shims. Ideally you want to keep the perch short so you dont transfer leverage to the leafs under accel which causes axle wrap.

Once you decide the rear plan of attack and drop amount you can move onto the front drop to get your desired stance. The key to a quality riding vehicle is ample up travel, proper spring rate, front a-arm geometry, good bump stops, and quality shocks valved for the intended application.
that sounds like a good way to go about it. Yes, running 1500 springs now.
The flip kit would be fairly painless as DJM offers a kit for that and matching front A-arms.

It would be nice to pick the best parts of each kit and make my own!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell me those hotchkis springs cheap
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Sell me those hotchkis springs cheap
I think shipping would be prohibitive, besides, I haven't made up my mind yet you damn garage sale-er!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:04 PM

Just come out here to visit, lots of single ladies or dudes whatever way youre swinging these days
Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 AM
what a rush!

well, I've been working on my Intro wheels for an few hours here or there "for a while" now and I'm making the promise to myself to never let them get so out of shape again! The inner hoops are what need the most work and I finally gave in from 1000grit to 400grit wet sanding..........MUCH better progress! Will post some pics later of the process........

Lesson Learned: Keep your expensive Billet wheels polished OR get them powder-coated!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 PM
what a rush!

Some parts showed up today; going to try and make my own dual pin efan harness. Starting with 3 50amp relays, 3 snap together relay sockets, and 15 crimp connectors that fit into the relay sockets.

Anyone know where I can purchase some PCM connectors?
Old 11-03-2011, 08:12 PM

The dealer, thats where I got mine for the high idle on my dmax and they use the same type pins.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 PM
what a rush!

you wouldn't happen to have a part # would ya?

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install