PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
Calm down. A little overkill never hurt anyone if it makes them feel better. But stock bolts SHOULD be fine if installed properly. 90% of the load on the cam gear is shear load which doesn't require as high a quality metal as a rod bolt which is under tensil load.
Lookin good moregrip. Now hurry up!
I wasnt bashing his decision at all, just wondering why Rex who obviously knows his stuff likes them so well thats all.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Enough jabbering.
I heard you were groovin' on the new Toyota thread. Did you ever get one, or just a truck that looked like one?

Grip, is the motor in or what?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alex Trebek
You have 30 seconds, begin....(Insert Jeopardy theme song).
Update
Old 12-18-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Do you not add ARPs for strength? Im just asking why he replaced something that doesnt need it, why do you need a great quality bolt for something that the stocker is more then enough for? Thats why I asked since an engine builder with TONS more experience then me likes them and I am wondering why.
For me, its more for peace of mind and reliability then anything else. Yes they are rated to 200,000 psi but when you put an engine together...you don't want a cam bolt or anything coming loose or breaking just to tear your engine apart and do it all over again. I have quite a few engine builds under my belt and after I have used stock vs. ARP bolts...I will never use anything but ARP again. The feel of the ARP bolt screwing in is much smoother and has a tighter tolerance so to speak than that of a stock bolt. Which is why I said...for a few more dollars....get the best and you'll not worry about the bolts being the problem esp for forced inductions but I do it on everything so that no matter what I have.....its the best engine that I can build.

Sorry for getting off target here but just passing along my experiences.

Great build so far Grippy......I think its about time for an update!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you guys dont mind if I put my two cents in about the cam bolts,but I have seen A few of the c-5 and zo6 with their cam bolts sheared or loose and these were stock engines.I have built many gen 3 engines and used the stock cam bolts with locktite,but I do now use A quality cam bolt as I do not want this inexpensive upgrade to haunt me. THANKS REX-------
Old 12-19-2006, 06:58 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmann
Hope you guys dont mind if I put my two cents in about the cam bolts,but I have seen A few of the c-5 and zo6 with their cam bolts sheared or loose and these were stock engines.I have built many gen 3 engines and used the stock cam bolts with locktite,but I do now use A quality cam bolt as I do not want this inexpensive upgrade to haunt me. THANKS REX-------
Thanks for the reply Rex, hadnt heard of these bolts shearing unless they backed out and hit the t-chain cover. I may upgrade those next time around.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:20 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmann

ditto on that Rex, we have seen that plenty of times here!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:57 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Since the rotating assembly was balanced internally and the crank damper spun to insure a neutral balance I needed to address the flex-plate; dropped the Meziere unit off at the machine shop yesterday, they called back today saying it was perfect! Absolutely perfect , I'll go pick that up later today and then I should have everything I need to put it all back together.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:40 PM
what a rush!

Quick update: all the loose ends are tied up (I hope), had to order some misc fuel fittings, source NPG+ coolant locally, check on some last minute items from JPA, and will be dropping off my driveshafts for a balance check tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 PM
what a rush!

some light block touch-up:

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install