PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Grip, are you going to put the engine and trans in as one unit? Or are you going to put the trans in first and then the engine after?

Nice work on this so far Grippy.

Richard
Old 01-05-2007, 12:30 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
How we looking on progress bro? You have everything you need to stab the motor/tranny? Lemme know if you need any help... may have to take a trip...

Bill

Originally Posted by jblack6527
Thats some good info there. now, back on topic, How is everything going Grippy?
Thanks guys, nothing new to report so far today, just spent the last 24hrs on the new ship (USS Decatur).
Next 3 days are off days for me so I be needing to get some work done now
Old 01-05-2007, 12:34 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Hey Grip, are you going to put the engine and trans in as one unit? Or are you going to put the trans in first and then the engine after?

Nice work on this so far Grippy.

Richard
I was thinking of dropping the tranny in first and then the engine but haven't made a final decision? got any helpful hints?
Believe it or not, getting that spacer sorted out was big deal, glad thats done
Old 01-05-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by moregrip
I was thinking of dropping the tranny in first and then the engine but haven't made a final decision? got any helpful hints?
Believe it or not, getting that spacer sorted out was big deal, glad thats done
I have always found it easier to install the tranny after the engine. If the tranny is already in there then you have to worry about positioning the motor mounts as well as ligning up the dowl hole and convertor. It can be a real pain. But since you have the core support out i'd slide them in as one whole unit.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
I have always found it easier to install the tranny after the engine. If the tranny is already in there then you have to worry about positioning the motor mounts as well as ligning up the dowl hole and convertor. It can be a real pain. But since you have the core support out i'd slide them in as one whole unit.
i agree.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by hourang
i agree.

maybe I'll try and do that, how much weight are we looking at?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Default Watching and waiting!

maybe I'll try and do that, how much weight are we looking at?
Watching and waiting,watching and waiting,watching and waiting,yada yada yada.JUST wanted to say keep up the good work.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:59 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by jetmann
Watching and waiting,watching and waiting,watching and waiting,yada yada yada.JUST wanted to say keep up the good work.
Hey Rex, I should have some decent progress to report this weekend
Old 01-05-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, nothing new to report so far today, just spent the last 24hrs on the new ship (USS Decatur).
Next 3 days are off days for me so I be needing to get some work done now
come on, you've got 3 days off . . . quit posting and get some more work done. BTW nice work, I've been following your progress. . . . ready to see a vid of you burning down the tires.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:32 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Tootall
come on, you've got 3 days off . . . quit posting and get some more work done. BTW nice work, I've been following your progress. . . . ready to see a vid of you burning down the tires.
thanks bro, appreciate the kind words. Besides the fun of sharing this build with everyone I've tried to offer some insight and info as reference for others, some of the smallest details can make all the difference in the world.

On to new business:
I have a bit of a cluster-**** on my hands. For whatever reasons my paint job has taken a turn for the worse. I was using some spot putty to fill in some casting irregularities and dings and it has eaten right through my paint job AND the powder coating must of sat on the shelf to long (no clue really)
While it's a bummer for sure, these things happen to us all from time to time, and the solution is quite simple, but not ideal.

Since the blower case won't take a 400 deg oven cure once assembled I am looking at a professional paint job similar to BlownChevy's. I will need to strip the Blower case down to bare metal, prep, and paint. Luckily there is a quality shop nearby that I actually trust to tackle the job so hopefully they'll take the work.

Last edited by moregrip; 01-12-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install