PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most spot putty and Glazing putty have Denatured Alcohol (or the like) in them so they etch them selves into/onto whatever your trying to fill. if you try to sand it before it's totally dry it'll pull up what it was trying to stick to. sounds like what happened to you. if you go to a marine supply store and get a two part glazing putty you can fix the F-up you have now. it still sands real easy and you can paint over it without primer. 100 times better than any bondo or one part glazing putty, it'll never swell or shrink. Hope you get that baby running soon. Now get out there and install sum'N...
Old 01-05-2007, 07:03 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FastCrewCab4x4
Most spot putty and Glazing putty have Denatured Alcohol (or the like) in them so they etch them selves into/onto whatever your trying to fill. if you try to sand it before it's totally dry it'll pull up what it was trying to stick to. sounds like what happened to you. if you go to a marine supply store and get a two part glazing putty you can fix the F-up you have now. it still sands real easy and you can paint over it without primer. 100 times better than any bondo or one part glazing putty, it'll never swell or shrink. Hope you get that baby running soon. Now get out there and install sum'N...
Yep, that's exactly what happened, good to know for the future, thank you
Old 01-05-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by moregrip
maybe I'll try and do that, how much weight are we looking at?
engine should be around 450lbs and 4l80e and converter ~200lbs. Well under the 1/2 ton full extension point of most engine hoists. I try to always install engine and tranny together when possible but due to the design of these trucks underhood there isn't room....unless you have the core support out.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:29 PM
FormerVendor

I'm with TurboGibbs. Put both the engine and trans together on a bench, floor or hanging from the hoist then put the whole assembly in. With the core support out it should make the job far easier on your back!
Not to mention you can more easily check converter/pump engagement and tighten the bellhousing bolts.
Wish I could be there to help

Smooth sailing chief

Richard
Old 01-06-2007, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

how difficult is it to reinstall the core support after then transmission and engine are in place?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:20 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nice_n_lo_silverado
how difficult is it to reinstall the core support after then transmission and engine are in place?
The core support is the same either way - engine in or out, doesn't matter.

Grippy - here's another vote for putting the motor and tranny together first then sliding them in together. It will be much easier that way.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

I wonder, can you just drop the motor with the maggie on top? I wouldn't do it or recommend it...Wonder if it is doable tho? If it is I bet that would save a lot of time. Supercharger engine and trans all together ready to go?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'd say no because the engine sits too far under the cowl and the chain and hoist would interfere. The chains need to be as low as possible to clear the cowl and to get the engine set in.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:49 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think I'll give the engine/tranny combo a try and see how she goes.......last vehicle I drop an engine/tranny combo in at the same time was my 67 Chevy Impala SS, that was about 13 yrs ago, LOL, wish me luck!
Old 01-06-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

so grip you going to get to the track with that thing?

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install