PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

"Puddles" 96 obs chevy

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020 | 09:13 PM
Teching In

Got the fuel system more or less "done", just missing a fitting and some clean up.
I bonded some rubber to the truck bed where ever the fuel cell would touch and bonded some rubber to the inside of the steel mounting straps. I really didn't want the aluminum cell rubbing against any steel.

I'll run a grounding wire to the tank just to be safe.
I'm running -8an PTFE fuel lines with a bulkhead fitting through the floor of the truck bed.
The fuel lines were closer to the exhaust than I would have liked, so i used DEI heat sleeving for majority of the length of the line under the truck

Old 11-19-2020 | 12:23 AM
Launching!

looks like youre getting it just fine, couple quesitons
youre changing quite a few things from when your pops had it, do you think he'd approve?
why the fuel cell? why not use the stock fuel tank? or a blazer mounted in between the rear rails?
any more info on his black car?

all seriousness, sorry you lost a loved one, it sucks, i lost my moms in april..
Old 11-19-2020 | 08:12 PM
Teching In

Oh yeah he would've loved this, he's built dozens of hot rods. Even his daily was a lowered 2010ish chev pickup 2wd with full bolt ons, gears and magniflow exhaust. The truck I got from him when I was 16 (the 96 obs) was just the truck he used as a winter beater and to tow his boat.

I will probably switch to a rear mounted OEM gas tank, I just haven't found one yet in the junk yard so that I can get the cross members out of. I can only find suburbans and Tahoe's the larger forward mounted gas tank for some reason. The stock gas tank was a pain cause I don't have any mounts or straps and most of the 4wd shorty mounting gear didn't fit my frame or gas tank for some reason. The 16gal RCI fuel cell I have went on sale for 80$ cdn in a fire sale on Amazon, couldn't say no lol

The "33 Ford model 44" is mostly pieced together from many different vehicles. Narrowed 80s s10 frame, I was told Dodge front fenders, model A light mounts. Box is hand made, grill bumpers, hoods etc... Here's a pick showing how the truck started and finished for context:

I also have his model A patty wagon project in storage for when I get some room to start working on finishing it. This one is completely scratch built, he only started with pictures

Old 11-26-2020 | 08:06 PM
Teching In

Ordered some proforged billet tie rod sleeves, pretty happy with the quality, hopefully they perform well.

So the nv3500 seems to have a common problem of wearing out the arm inside the trans that actuates the reverse light switch. Replacing the switch itself doesn't work and there doesn't really seem to be a good solution online as to how it fix it other than tossing a new trans in the vehicle.
I got fed up trying to mount a push pull toggle switch on the shifter to run the rev lights and then I realized "hey you own a lathe idiot". I machined the hex on the switch so that it threads about 0.025" farther into the trans and now it works great.

The following users liked this post:
Bgbldodge (11-26-2020)
Old 11-27-2020 | 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice project! The 88-98 platform is getting popular lately. What is the advantage of the billet aluminum tie rod sleeves? I have seen them more and more on peoples projects, but I don't see a clear advantage other than looks and weight (tiny difference?)
Old 11-27-2020 | 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Love the progress on it man. The truck is definitely coming along well. I love building stuff with my hands as well. Makes me wanna dig into my Tahoe a little more now.
Old 02-01-2021 | 08:24 PM
Teching In

Found this steering wheel and hub in my forgotten spare parts pile. I'm kinda digging it. It kinda looks like a c4 corvette wheel but not really sure. Does anyone recognize it?

Old 02-01-2021 | 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, that's an early GMC Sonoma steering wheel. Like the late 80's to early 90's body style.
Old 02-02-2021 | 10:52 AM
Former Vendor

really cool build and awesome play by play pictures. If you need help with radiators, let me know... I'd do an all aluminum 3 row on the radiator.

Love to help if need.. If not, still like to see pictures of what you used.

Thanks for sharing this build

Michael
Radiator Express
Old 02-07-2021 | 10:59 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the offer man but being in Canada means buying something big like a radiator extremely expensive to buy from the states ( shipping, duty, taxes, really weak dollar). I'll keep you in mind though if I run into temp issues.

I currently have a 2.5" thick radiator meant for a stock car in the biggest size I could get. The surface area is pretty much the size of the opening in the rad support.

I currently have Subaru Impreza fans. They moved the most air that I could find and could easily remove from the car. There wasn't any Thunderbirds in the junkyard and the Ford mini vans were impossible to get the fans out.
I also plan to have a second windshield washer jug with nozzles to spray the radiator. I'll have it on a push button as well as hooked up to my nitrous controller so that it'll keep the temps down while spraying.

Quick Reply: "Puddles" 96 obs chevy