PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

"Puddles" 96 obs chevy

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021 | 12:57 PM
Former Vendor

Yep, gets pricey with all the duties shipping to Canada..

Thanks for posting the picture...

Is that WD-40 the overflow bottle? ... That is cool!
Old 03-01-2021 | 08:05 PM
Teching In

Yeah its the overflow tank lol it's what I had and I didn't want to spend money on one
I decided to reduce the number of illegal things done to my truck just to make it a little easier getting through the first dot inspection. Although its a silly law, the horn button cannot be an aftermarket push button, must be in center of steering wheel.
My original set up had the horn button on the steering column. So what makes this difficult is that none of the original wiring is left in the truck, 90s gm wiring is really just a fire hazard in my experience. When I rewired the truck I went with a switched power setup. Ya end up with more wiring and relays than the alternative but it's much easier to troubleshoot down the road. Long story short, I can't just run a power wire to the steering wheel, I have to run a power and a ground (and I don't have a clock spring in the column).
Before:

After:

I used a bungee wire (2 wire) to go from the steering column to the wheel. I hogged out the gm horn plate and mounted the same red push button under the GMC horn cap in the center of the wheel. Seems to work great, hopefully the bungee wire doesn't pull too hard on the steering wheel when there's power steering but I should be spending too much time at full lock anyways.

​​​​​​
Old 07-19-2021 | 09:43 PM
Teching In

Been busy throwing time and money at the 33. Completely re wired now, don't worry not a hack job like the gmt400 was/is (I know a bit better now or I tell myself that anyways). Keep fixing things as I find the next weakest link, starting to work pretty good

The open diff and 308 gears need to go

On another note I have the Model A home and out of storage. Will be a couple years likely before it's road legal tho
The following 2 users liked this post by obshouse:
Bgbldodge (07-19-2021), zz454Chevelle67 (07-22-2021)
Old 10-05-2021 | 09:27 PM
Teching In

Finally have the motor broke in and have done a couple test drives. Lot of problems to fix. Motor feels strong and the truck is fast but there's an oil return issue where the oil pools too much in the top end of the motor after a few minutes of 3000+ rpm or about 30min at about 2500rpm. Not sure how to fix it yet, it's not a high volume oil pump
Have a set of belltech pro coils on order as the cut V6 coils are way too soft. Thought it would be fine if I cut 1.5 coils out of them but I thought wrong. Hopefully the height in the front is similar

​​​​​​The 3.42 gearing feels slow but the GPS would suggest that my butt dyno is wrong. I have an Eaton posi and 3.73 that I'll install regardless this winter due to the g80 feeling sketchy and unpredictable.
It's getting a safety loop as well, now that I've experienced what breaking a rear u joint was like, really don't want to know what breaking the front one is like