PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

RCSB build

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Pretty much the same injector and they like the same offsets, etc.

You gotta get this thing on the road soon, my buddy is working on his RCSB 4WD junkyard 6.0L turbo setup as well. He will have about 200 lbs on you though right off the bat, we don't call him big dave for nothing. LOL
Hell yeah, another dig race monster! The truck is on the road now. I cleaned up the tune this morning with the SD80 data, just need to get out somewhere to get some throttle time to make sure everything is still good to go. Drives much better now. I have an aluminum block at the machine shop right now...so your buddys truck may have 300lbs on mine
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, should be fun. Oh yeah, if you are going aluminum it will definitely be at least 300 lbs difference at that point. He was one of the only guys I know to clock in an SN95 turbo LQ4 swap at ~3800 lb raceweight. LMFAO
Old 05-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read this ENTIRE thread...I dont guess the 4.8 is a bad engine to mod after all. Just I have an EC....with a house in there holding 4-15" angry midgets who like to fight. Plus Im a fat bastard. It'd still be fun to have a turbo'd truck, regardless of the weight, lol.

Great build Smoke, great build!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Mod with training wheels

Yup, should be fun. Oh yeah, if you are going aluminum it will definitely be at least 300 lbs difference at that point. He was one of the only guys I know to clock in an SN95 turbo LQ4 swap at ~3800 lb raceweight. LMFAO
Lol, damn. I plan on dropping in the new engine in a couple weeks, probably make one more trip up to Phoenix before the end of the month. Your buddy going to have it done any time soon? I'm not a fan of those 100° Phoenix nights, so I may not go back up there again until summer is over.

How does your car run in that 5000' midnight DA? When I was there for Cruise on Central, the temperature alone made it feel like I lost 2-3 pounds of boost. On the same day, 18psi here feels like 22 there

Originally Posted by SilverSquared
I just read this ENTIRE thread...I dont guess the 4.8 is a bad engine to mod after all. Just I have an EC....with a house in there holding 4-15" angry midgets who like to fight. Plus Im a fat bastard. It'd still be fun to have a turbo'd truck, regardless of the weight, lol.

Great build Smoke, great build!
Thanks man
Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Lol, damn. I plan on dropping in the new engine in a couple weeks, probably make one more trip up to Phoenix before the end of the month. Your buddy going to have it done any time soon? I'm not a fan of those 100° Phoenix nights, so I may not go back up there again until summer is over.
If he gets it done before the end of the month it would be a miracle. He is just going to start the drivetrain swap in the next week or two but the junkyard 6.0L is sitting there ready to drop in as well. He has all of the turbo components but it will take a couple of weeks for that to get fabricated up. I would guess about a month and a half to two months.

How does your car run in that 5000' midnight DA? When I was there for Cruise on Central, the temperature alone made it feel like I lost 2-3 pounds of boost. On the same day, 18psi here feels like 22 there
They run OK but considering the turbos are out of breath on kill on both the Camaro and the GTO when it gets hot they are limited somewhat like an N/A setup. I really need bigger turbos on both cars but I'm kind of done spending money on them at this point since they run and drive and are reliable as hell. Then again I guess on the normal boost levels of around 10-12 psi they run about the same since I'm not really pushing them hard.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Mod with training wheels

They run OK but considering the turbos are out of breath on kill on both the Camaro and the GTO when it gets hot they are limited somewhat like an N/A setup. I really need bigger turbos on both cars but I'm kind of done spending money on them at this point since they run and drive and are reliable as hell. Then again I guess on the normal boost levels of around 10-12 psi they run about the same since I'm not really pushing them hard.
No kidding. Speed is fun, but speed and reliability is priceless. What brand intercooler do you run, if you don't mind me asking? I did a long pull on the interstate when I was up there for the cruise, IATs jumped 50° in 15 seconds. If my intercooler isn't stirring the koolaid on an 80° night in April, a 110° summer day in July is just going to be disgusting.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your intercooler is a 3" core, right?

You need a 4" or thicker core. I have a cheap 4" ebay IC and my temps rise 20* in 13 seconds with a 70mm heat pump. Might want to look into an intercooler like Foose has.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Mod with training wheels

Mine is a 4". Gets plenty of airflow too. Keep in mind you build more heat at 20psi I saw foose04's intercooler results, looks awesome. I might look into something similar. For what he paid though, I'd likely buy a quality core and have the end tanks custom built.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:16 PM
9 Second Club

No kidding. Speed is fun, but speed and reliability is priceless. What brand intercooler do you run, if you don't mind me asking? I did a long pull on the interstate when I was up there for the cruise, IATs jumped 50° in 15 seconds. If my intercooler isn't stirring the koolaid on an 80° night in April, a 110° summer day in July is just going to be disgusting.
I have an older generation Precision PT900 on the Camaro and the GTO just has a generic 300 x 600 x 75 Bar and plate air/air intercooler. Both work OK with the PT900 obviously working the best in every possible scenario. It only goes up around 20 deg on a pull on kill with the GTO going up double that.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So when is the new engine going in?

Quick Reply: RCSB build