PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Re-route of wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-route of wiring

Its been awhile since Ive post anything, reason being that my truck has been garage for the past two years with a blown motor. I got layed off in 2008 and went 8 months without a job of money to rebuild, now that I have stabilized myself finacially again I started working on my truck again. But instead of just dropping a new motor in a being done i wanted to re route the fuse block and the CPU inside the cab under the center console I purchased a long time ago. I got all but one connector re routed. The one that comes the the firewall and through the underside of the dash needs more attention to get it to the location that i a mounting the fuse block. That one isnt going to be fun needless to say. Also in the works are my 20" rims that i have removed the chrome plating and prep'd and painted them. They look pretty good, not flawless but acceptable. Also have a newly rebuilt LQ4 6.0L bored .030 that is built for abuse. all ARP bolts from main, rods and heads. I reused my TR224 cam from my last 6L project that blew. Reused the #317 heads after me machine guy fixed one of the chambers and put all new valves in after they were all bent and mangled. Anyway here are some pics.

Enjoy

Todd

Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

might be a dumb question but why are you moving the fuse box inside instead of leaving it under the hood?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned

Sub'd
Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atomic
might be a dumb question but why are you moving the fuse box inside instead of leaving it under the hood?
More for appearance than anything, not a huge fan of all the wiring being up there. This wont eliminate obviously, but there will be a lot less wiring shown. I think that I can get a lot of them hidden from sight for the most part.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good Mo! Now before you put it all back together, get in there and clean all that crap off the firewall and shine it up good before you put the motor back in!
Old 05-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am very curious if that is a terrible idea for the computer. It has cooling ducts to run air over it from the grill to keep it cool. You have now not allowed it to breath at all. I know ambient temps under the hood are hot but who knows. Did you ask any one who might know one way or the other?

I am bringing up a question and don't really have the answer. Personally I would put somewhere it can at lest breath and dissipate some heat like under the dash in open air, but that is me. Good luck
Old 05-19-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by custm2500
I am very curious if that is a terrible idea for the computer. It has cooling ducts to run air over it from the grill to keep it cool. You have now not allowed it to breath at all. I know ambient temps under the hood are hot but who knows. Did you ask any one who might know one way or the other?

I am bringing up a question and don't really have the answer. Personally I would put somewhere it can at lest breath and dissipate some heat like under the dash in open air, but that is me. Good luck
I gave that some thought, I not sure how much warmer it will be all surrounded by the console itself, I guess my fix to that if an issue is to vent it and install a small computer fan or something to get cooler air flow. I could make a vent in the tunnel, but it could allow exhaust gases up through.

Good thought though! Got me thinking...

On another note, the only harnees that wont reach its destination from that location is the headlight harness (headlights, washer pump, horn, airbag sensor i think is on there) so i have to remake that harness or splice in some extensions. Splicing the headlights i dont have any issue with. But the sensor im not sure if splicing them (if they are low amps) would cause them to be faulty... Not sure... I guess having the sensor(s) relocated isnt all that big of a deal - its not like its a daily driver..
Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you going to have enough clearance in the tranny tunnel for all that wiring? I know there is a lot room there, but...
Old 05-19-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
Are you going to have enough clearance in the tranny tunnel for all that wiring? I know there is a lot room there, but...
Check'd good to go! The wiring kinda drops down and to the side a little. There are a few wires(injector, TB, etc that will run up over the back of the tranny and motor
Old 05-19-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a hell of a project. Good luck with the headlight harness. I would leave SIR sensors alone. Just as you are cautious about extending the wires for them, I would be more cautious about moving them. I am sure there are parameters programmed in because of their specific location.

I would just extend all the wires. If you need schematics or info on the system, I have the service manuals (but I would assume you would as well, before undertaking that project).

Quick Reply: Re-route of wiring