PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

shakenfake's Sierra SLT LBZ thread (BORING)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2022, 12:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,278 Likes on 975 Posts

Driver side battery was bad so new batteries hopefully tomorrow.

I also found that the 2nd battery had an incorrect bolt and the primary battery has the battery hold down bolt broken off in the tray with no hold down in sight. So I get to extract that tomorrow or go grab a battery tray out of a junkyard.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:35 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

If you can find a good one... Left tray is discontinued. Only Junk yard or Dorkman replacement, Right side pass still available for now...

I had 2 new batteries around 6-8 mo old leak earlier this year. Was able to sand blast the Original's and repaint. Also had to spot in the left fender and replace the wiper motor and the plastic line as the acid damaged it.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts

Not sure if it's mentioned, but the later year trucks in this body style have ECU PWM commanded alternator. The voltage varies depending on load.

I've noticed on those vehicles the voltage on the dash cruising on the highway with everything electrically off is much lower than idle with a lot of electronics on (radio, cab lights, AC, etc.)

But stuff shouldn't flicker.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Yup bad battery. Bought two new AAA batteries.
Replaced the boot and bolt on the primary battery ground cable and replaced the bolt on the secondary battery positive cable.
The primary battery had the hold down block bolt broken off in the tray and no block in sight so I pulled the tray out (broke one of the tray bolts off at the head so that bolt is gone) and slowly twisted the bolt out. Wire wheeled some rust off and then repainted the tray and got a new block and bolt from Advance Auto.

Battery hold down kit DieHard P/N: 45165
Battery cable boot kit Dorman P/N: 60300
Battery cable bolt kit Dorman P/N: 60307
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 10:15 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Why AAA Batteries?

strutaeng (12-05-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 07:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Made by East Penn and has the best warranty, 3 year Free with a 3 year pro rata. Only one other battery is close to that and that’s DieHard 4 year free replacement.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Seems like some cancer crept up behind these fender flares on the bedsides wherever this truck used to be. I keep scouring this thing looking for rust and I finally found it. I am paranoid about it. It is completely covered by the flare but I would rather get it cut out and repaired now instead of later. I already mentioned that someone like triple painted over these rocker panels, some of it is chipping and exposing bare metal and a bit of orange so I may get that taken care of as well, they are not rusted through just unsightly lol

Still just driving the truck and enjoying it though. I think I need some other kind of LED because of how they fade off instead of shut right off? I was reading something about that on another forum. They flicker but only when you shut the doors and the lights are going out, not like before. I have some cheap Amazon ones.
strutaeng (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by shakenfake
Seems like some cancer crept up behind these fender flares on the bedsides wherever this truck used to be. I keep scouring this thing looking for rust and I finally found it. I am paranoid about it. It is completely covered by the flare but I would rather get it cut out and repaired now instead of later. I already mentioned that someone like triple painted over these rocker panels, some of it is chipping and exposing bare metal and a bit of orange so I may get that taken care of as well, they are not rusted through just unsightly lol

Still just driving the truck and enjoying it though. I think I need some other kind of LED because of how they fade off instead of shut right off? I was reading something about that on another forum. They flicker but only when you shut the doors and the lights are going out, not like before. I have some cheap Amazon ones.
Did you take any pictures? Has the truck been in the state all of it's life? I've seen some vehicle that are maybe from the northern part of Oklahoma that get brought down here and have a bit of rust. A bit of rust if vehicles sit in fields with a lot of rain and humidity.

When I was looking for a harness for my 99 Silverado I found a donor at some small Ft. Worth junkyard. I started removing the harness and when I got underneath I saw the worst rust in my life. I knew that truck wasn't from around here. I asked the guys and turns out the truck was from Chicago. They use those oversized fender flares to hide the rust when it gets bad. This one had them. Had to cut some wires and didn't wind up using the harness.

To make matters worse when I was underneath the truck some Takuaches showed up and started wrenching on the damn thing! They were cool though. Even let them use some tools I had. We talked a bit about transmissions and other stuff.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

The rockers it is kind of hard to see without being in person but in this pic you can see how there are like two layers of paint over the panels. I have another spot where the paint has chipped off and it is just bare metal and not orange.

I'd have to go back and look at the Carfax I have on it. If I remember correctly it was in TX and OK for the past 6 years? I think in Kansas and Missouri for the beginning of it's life.

strutaeng (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

1. @strutaeng 5 years 2 months and 83,000 miles in Kentucky
  2. 7 years and 130000 miles in Texas
  3. 3 years 10 months and 45,000 miles in Kansas and Oklahoma.
Interestingly in that 7 year Texas stretch I guess the owner was using this truck for work or had multiple properties because it was getting an oil change every 10k miles and 4 months in Missouri and once in Ohio. Anyways I am sure that is where it comes from, salt and **** just got up in between the fender liner and the wheel well and ate it away.
strutaeng (12-09-2022)

Quick Reply: shakenfake's Sierra SLT LBZ thread (BORING)