PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Slow and getting slower

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:43 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

That is what I am trying to accomplish, more or less, by playing with the bump stops. The stops are not solid, they are a very firm rubber type material, so they will give some when compressed. It should still have some travel, but have a stiff effective dampening rate. Basically the same thing as very stiff shocks.... thats the theory anyway
Old 06-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty2000
You need a set of shocks with stiffer valving. A stiffer spring will not solve your problem. They will prevent you from bottoming out, but your suspension will compress to the point that the springs resist any more compression just as quickly as you hit the bump stops now. You need to slow down how quickly the suspension compresses and the only way to that is with shocks that have stiffer valving. In most cases static weight of the truck should be the only factor that determines spring stiffness. Your truck weighs roughly what a stock truck weighs therefore the spring stiffness is fine.
Excellent point!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Atomic
That is what I am trying to accomplish, more or less, by playing with the bump stops. The stops are not solid, they are a very firm rubber type material, so they will give some when compressed. It should still have some travel, but have a stiff effective dampening rate. Basically the same thing as very stiff shocks.... thats the theory anyway
My point about the bump stops it's that you have no control over how much or how little you will rebound off them. If you cant control the dampening you won't be able to control the rebound either.

The other Guy makes a very valid point about shocks. That's why alot of the off road guys go with the king shocks. There infinitely adjustable by changing the shim packs and valving internally. While you don't need kings to solve your issue any rebuild able/ adjustable shock should do the trick. You should be able to contact the manufacture to get different internal guts to make it do what you want it to do.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:06 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Hmm... skip to about 1:05 and watch the rear on the launch

It appears to drop a few inches and only rebound slightly once. This was with the front end straped down pretty tight. I realize the front coming up some is going to happen, but I am trying to keep the weight pretty even across all 4 tires are opposed to transferring all the weight to the back 2.

From what ive read, with a 4wd or awd truck you do not want much weight to transfer and you want it stiff as a board basically. Unfortunetly theres not a ton of 4wd hooking info. Most guys that overpower your standard 4wd end up just using 2wd and big slicks it seems.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand your theory and it is like you said, you want it as stiff as a board to keep things as settled as possible. After watching your video it is clear that you bottom out quickly almost immediately as you take off and it makes the truck completely unsettled. The weight transfer happens so fast that the front lifts up to the point that the front wheels struggle to hold traction. While I agree that it is worth it to try those bump stops since they were free, I will be surprised if they do anything. You need a lot stiffer valving in the rear end to settle things out especially because you are 4wd
Old 06-26-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might wanna get ahold to stock48
if i remember right, he was running his low enought he is pretty much leaving on the bump stops?
or atleast the rear doesnt compress any?
I cant remember.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

build some struts for the rear just for track use
Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

It almost appears as if its bouncing of the stops, What kind of adjustable shocks are you using???
Old 06-27-2012, 01:51 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Richard, get some Cal-Tracs. Believe it or not, you're getting spring-wrap.

They will also help with anti-squat and body seperation.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking the along the axle wrap lines myself. Front is going up, rear is still attempting to go forwards, so there's the speed difference to let it happen.
Why not slap the gopro underneath it and watch exactly what's its doing???

Quick Reply: Slow and getting slower