PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Slow and getting slower

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:19 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Speaking of which, im not sure if I am going to have room to run my 4" cutout. Space is tight under the RC
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I have a gauge for that

So I got my head studs today....
Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subbing for a great build!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 AM
I have a gauge for that

Couple updates...

1.) Had my rockers sent off to have the comp trunion upgrades installed, but USPS is being a bitch and cant seem to find them. Im going by the post office in the morning.

2.) The LS1 rear cover has slight recesses where the cover bolt heads go, unlike the truck rear cover. This should prevent the problem I had last time of the torque converter bolts hitting the rear cover bolts. And on a similiar note...

3.) I decided not to reuse my low-stall PI converter that is in my silver truck (although I will still pull it and put a stock stall in there). I gave Dave at Yank a call and have a 3200 pro-truck converter coming my way next week. Wanted to try something more turbo friendly, and this is one of the best converters out there. Looking forward to it.

4.) Got the head studs from LME, but am still waiting on the correct crank sprocket for the timing set. I left it on there when I sent them the block because it was pressed on and I didnt feel like trying to get it off. Apparently rollmaster changed styles at one point from a 1-piece to the newer 2-piece crank sprocket. Brian sent me the 1-piece version, but should be sending me the 2-piece version since thats what I had originally. I was told the 1-piece will work, but I dont really want to risk it. This is the last part I need to assemble the engine and check PTV clearance and required pushrod length.

5.) Of all the GM parts resellers like gmpartsdirect, newgmparts, etc. I have had the best luck and fastest shipping with CHEAPGMPARTS.com I highly recommend these guys if you need something from GM. I got the intake fitting I need and a new oil pan gasket.

6.) Spent a couple hours cleaning everything getting ready for long-block assembly, and painted the valve covers flat black. I still need to tap the oil pan for the turbo drain. I am going to tap it behind the balancer this time instead of by the starter location.

7.) I hate the 99-02 chevy steering wheels and am looking for a replacement. I dont really care about the airbag since I will be using a 4-point harness anyway. I like some of the Grant wheels but cant find any adapter/installation kits for our trucks...anyone have suggestions for other aftermarket steering wheels?

Goal is to have this project 90% complete within the next month. Between class, homework, girlfriend, and work I have basically zero truck time. Finals are next week on Friday so I should have a lot more time after that....**** I have a lot of work to do...
Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good man summer classes are a f'n drag...but in the long run they are 'better' than getting stuck with it during the school year.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:56 AM
I have a gauge for that

What makes it even more boring is I don't really need these classes and they don't count for anything. I finished my degree in may and am going to be working on my masters in the fall, and these being two undergrad classes don't really count, they were just "highly recommended". It's heat transfer and thermodynamics 2.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could dump the girlfriend then you will have more time for the truck!

Then when the truck is done you can use it to get many new girlfriends.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Man Motor club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I have a gauge for that

Haha, nah, I like this one. Her mom took us out to dinner last night and we spent most of the time talking about clutches and torque converters
Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of eng. are you studying rich? I don't have to take those 2 since im studying civil engineering, but the Mechanicals require those courses.

Quick Reply: Slow and getting slower