PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Small Project - Console Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Small Project - Console Install

I've been looking for a center console for darn near four years. Finally broke down and paid what it took to get one. It came with everything, the console, correct glove box and bezel and the center mounting bracket.

Anyway it arrived this week while I was away. Started putting it in as soon as I got home.

Have to pull the seats, the center jump seat, glove box and bezel, under steering bezel, and instrument cluster bezel.

Put the new glove box in. Screw in the mounting bracket to the dash and slide the console in place and screw it down.

Still some wiring to do. It came with the Bose system that I won't use, have to wire up the rear A/C plug and my nitrous purge. Should finish it up tomorrow.

RPO codes are all wrong now in the glove box.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:50 PM
I hate my cats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang, I just bought a console with the BOSE sub and was hoping someone would show this dumb farmer how to wire it up! Haha, it's looking good man.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming along nicely...adding the center console is a great interior mod. There's less parts needed for my year though (99-02), just had to remove the jump seat and what used to be the cup holder under the radio and it bolted right in. The 03 and up is a smoother looking console though. Only problem that I have is now I need captain's chairs as the console is too low to rest my arm...I actually have a small pillow in the truck just for that.

Looking forward to the finished product
Old 05-01-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wyttrash96
Dang, I just bought a console with the BOSE sub and was hoping someone would show this dumb farmer how to wire it up! Haha, it's looking good man.
I have a pin out for the wiring connector at the bottom of the console but I'd probably try and find the factory harness. I thought about trying to wire it in for about 2 seconds then said hell no not even going to try and figure that out. I already have a sub under the rear seat and and amp driving good speakers so no need to use the Bose.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Coming along nicely...adding the center console is a great interior mod. There's less parts needed for my year though (99-02), just had to remove the jump seat and what used to be the cup holder under the radio and it bolted right in. The 03 and up is a smoother looking console though. Only problem that I have is now I need captain's chairs as the console is too low to rest my arm...I actually have a small pillow in the truck just for that.

Yeah I'm a little worried about the arm rest thing. Captain chairs might be next on the list.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Originally Posted by budhayes3

thats the main reason i did a 03 up console in my truck and i love it
Old 05-02-2009, 03:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
thats the main reason i did a 03 up console in my truck and i love it
Could you give details.....is all that's needed the lower glovebox part from an 03 up? I am going to do 03+ leather full power captains in mine as well as a 03+ console. 2 concerns I have:

1) Is medium pewter the same as the light grey used in 99-02s?
2) How to adapt the 03+ harness on the seats to the 99-02s wiring in my truck

Roger,

Looking awesome as usual.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Dam your carpet is clean under your seats.

After driving my dads 03 with the captains chairs/center console, I got to were I liked my fold up better. Maybe its just me, but the arm rest placement/seat Height was just off.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a part number on that console???? looks great
Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
Dam your carpet is clean under your seats.

After driving my dads 03 with the captains chairs/center console, I got to were I liked my fold up better. Maybe its just me, but the arm rest placement/seat Height was just off.
I vacuumed it after getting the seats out.

Sat in it last night. Guess the biggest difference is the center console top isn't pleather wrapped. It is about the same height as the old one. The big thing is the new console's top doesn't squeak. That drove me crazy with the jump seat. My old ash tray was tweaked also and wouldn't close all the way. Both fixed.

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Roger,

Looking awesome as usual.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
do you have a part number on that console???? looks great
Thanks, sorry, don't have a part number. I think all 03-07 classic Tahoe, Silverado, Yukon etc will work. Only difference being colors. Then different options in the front and rear with radio controls, cup holders, etc. This one has the Bose amp and speaker in it. Rear cupholder's and ACC power along with heat/AC vents and just cubby holes up front with cig lighter and ACC power. Just what I wanted with the exception of not wanting BOSE.

Quick Reply: Small Project - Console Install