PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

SS 80e Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SS 80e Swap

lets just say i went into this a little cocky lol. i figured since i use to be able to swap converters in my old race truck in about a hour then this woudnt take long.

swap is done with no real hang ups except for the yoke i got from a member was for a normal silverado driveshaft. i totaly forgot my entire driveshaft is 1350 like a stock 2500hd ( i have a 2wd 14 bolt).

id like to thank badass05chevy, kysilverado for his write up, superado's thread, coban for selling me all the swap parts for a killer deal, denailon26's for the tranny, and everyone else on here with the tips and tricks.

all thats left is hooking up the cooler lines up front and waiting for the computer to come back from blackbear. but on a postive note it rolls freely in neutral and the gear shifter works properly lol.

for anyones ref my lpp y pipe is barely touching the tran pan. i was done working on this and just left it because i have to finish redoing my exhuast anyways. im sure with some adjusting of the slip fitting i can make it clear.

also all i did was cut the ear off on the passenger side so it didnt hit header. and my passenger side header rested on the frame when i attempted to lower the oil pan onto the crossmember. all that cause was making the top bellhousing bolt harder to get to since the trans tunnel has that piece that hangs down.

the wiring is so simple my cousin told me to hold the drop light, i was messing with some line and next thing i know he walked away and was done.

now im truckless and bumming rides to work till computer comes back. boy i hope everything works right lol.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet. im in the process of collecting all my part for my swap. should have the swap done within a month (its a little cold here in MT). so the swap was pretty straight forward? i have swapped 3 60 in my SS so ive got that down pretty good. hope it all works out for you. so are you running a built 80?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome! when are you coming down to South FL to do mine?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Hell I'm from fort laude I'd come help if you pay for my gas lol.

But ya it's straight forward. Just remember to put the dipstick in before you put tran on lol or your in for a fun time.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

And it's a 05 80 with 20k on and had hd sprags and shift kit added.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
But ya it's straight forward. Just remember to put the dipstick in before you put tran on lol or your in for a fun time.
Make sure you do this! My first time installing my 80e I forgot about the dipstick tube and it was a pain in the *** to get it in, to say the least. Putting the dipstick tube in yesterday was simple because I learned my lesson. Drop it down into the hole as you raise the transmission and all should go smoothly.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

today is the moment of truth. computer just got in. thanks blackbear for quick turn around on retune!

also my c notch is coming. its been on backorder from belltech for 2 months. im most excited to see the first to second gear shift
Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Well it was a success. Drives perfect. No more tc so the lights on dash but that's fine I'll take bulb out. The 3.73 and 2800 make it sound sick leaving a light.

That expressvan stall. With one wheel wonder(g80 broke) I can foot brake it to 2500 then it will start spinning. It still spins on first gear rolls but not like before. Doing 40mph first gear hit is all about business.

All in all I'm happy. Wishing for a 3600 stall now.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats man!!!

No more trans worries!

IF i ever have any trans issues i'll put an 80E in and be done with it.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Did you pull the diff cover after the g80 broke? Don't want **** getting smashed up between the gears...

Quick Reply: SS 80e Swap