PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Take 2-Mild L33 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Take 2-Mild L33 build

Hey guys, im about to get things rolling with this engine build and i wanted to move it over to the projects thread to get more traffic. I have been posting over in the Internal engine modifications thread so you can check that out to see what has been going up until now. The engine will be going to the machine shop next monday while i still acquire parts and get things ready. I will try to get pics up
Attached Thumbnails Take 2-Mild L33 build-127.jpg   Take 2-Mild L33 build-128.jpg   Take 2-Mild L33 build-129.jpg   Take 2-Mild L33 build-130.jpg  
Old 10-06-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are a couple of the pics. I cant post some of the others because their size is too big to upload. Any ideas how to change that?
Old 10-06-2014, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is what the engine will be going into. I couldnt find a photo with my new bumper on it so i will have to upload a pic of it with my bumper on.

2001 silverado Z71, currently has 226k miles with a suspected blown head gasket.
Attached Thumbnails Take 2-Mild L33 build-imag0087.jpg  
Old 10-06-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Current mods on the truck are:

AEM brute force CAI
Pacesetter LT's with ORY y-pipe
Black Bear 93 octane tune
EGR delete, rear 02 sensor delete

New engine:

Wiseco pistons- .020" over
Scat I beam forged rods
Stock crank
AI spec'd cam(Phil recommended something similar to 216/224 114 lsa 59x" lift but we are waiting to see the full details of the engine build and my heads before he gives me a exact spec)
New oem timing pieces
Durabond cam bearings
Clevite P series crank and rod bearings
Stock truck intake
38lb injectors
ARP cylinder head bolts
Melling HP oil pump
Morel 5315 "drop-in" lifters
AI 226cc port job on 799 castings(I am going to replace valves with new OEM pieces and go with BTR double spring kit .660" lift

Machine shop work:

I want the decks milled so the pistons potrude out of the bores .010"
Boring for pistons
Assembly of short block

When i take the engine to the machine shop we will be discussing clearences and what not, This will be a DD engine that will be used as a truck so i want it built on the tighter side of spec for a long life.

Last edited by 01silvy; 10-07-2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: update to build
Old 10-06-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I already have so many questions about parts and just general advice for the build. A couple things iam contemplating are rockers and headers. I want to go to a roller rocker but a lot of them are unreliable or just very expensive. Thoughts???

Also the pacesetter LT's (ceramic coated) have been good but i am looking to upgrade. I have been looking at Stainless Works headers. Thoughts??

Thanks guys. Sorry about all the posts.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

As far as Roller rockers they really are not needed. Get a bearing upgrade kit for the stockers and be done with it.

Summit has a deal on their house brand for 99 that includes the tool. Or you can get the Comps which are very similar but more money and no tool.

No experience with the either brand of headers but It's usually been my experience you get what you pay for.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks brick, I kinda figured the roller rockers would be a waste unless it was for a all out build. Im thinking about buying the stock rockers from summit(they come as blanks so you can just add a trunion upgrade and roll) and sending them to CHE or WCCH for their bushing trunion upgrade.

Another little update... I am not running 241's with this build anymore. I bought a good used set of 799's on ebay today for $420 shipped. Phil at AI will be giving them a good workover, im probably doing all new OEM valves with guides and the BTR dual spring kit with the steel retainers.

I think i have read good things about the Stainless Works headers and they are $200 cheaper than the ARH or Kooks. Just didnt know if anyone here had experience with them.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by 01silvy
Thanks brick, I kinda figured the roller rockers would be a waste unless it was for a all out build. Im thinking about buying the stock rockers from summit(they come as blanks so you can just add a trunion upgrade and roll) and sending them to CHE or WCCH for their bushing trunion upgrade.

Another little update... I am not running 241's with this build anymore. I bought a good used set of 799's on ebay today for $420 shipped. Phil at AI will be giving them a good workover, im probably doing all new OEM valves with guides and the BTR dual spring kit with the steel retainers.

I think i have read good things about the Stainless Works headers and they are $200 cheaper than the ARH or Kooks. Just didnt know if anyone here had experience with them.
The roller rockers just don't do a whole lot on these engines. There usually heavier and add weight over the nose of the valve.

Good to here on the 243's
Old 10-07-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to know. The 241's will be saved for a possible turbo build that i will do with the engine i am pulling out of the truck...
Old 10-13-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another update: dropped the engine off at RPM this morning. Should hopefully be hearing something late next week. A couple pics of the block before we dropped it off.
Attached Thumbnails Take 2-Mild L33 build-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Take 2-Mild L33 build