PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Tired Out '00 Ecsb Z71 Turbo Project/Build/Whatever

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats another two-three days now???

So, got over to the shop and get my truck. Idles ok for not being tuned and sounds like its gonna be fun!!! In order for it to be tuned, I had to get it reflashed back to factory at the dealer(buddy did it for a case of corona!). No problems there, took like 15 minutes. However, the truck DID NOT like the factory tune and wanted to die almost instantly. So while sitting there TRYING to get the truck to run(pushing the brake pedal down), all of a sudden it goes to the floor!!! POPPED the brake line from the ABS module to the rear axle. Had to get it towed from the dealership back to the shop.

So it should be all done, tuned for, ready to beat the **** out of by Saturday.

Only concern I had while driving the truck to the dealer was, the warmer it got, the more it sounded like it was tapping. Not just loud, sewing machine like valve train.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 PM

Latest update, brake line is fixed up and good to go. HPTuners is now happy its back to factory, but now its showing no serial number for the PCM or something.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 PM

So talked to the shop again today. They said through calls with HPTuners that something went corrupt in the PCM files and I need a new PCM. So they are getting in an 02 PCM and doing a VIN swap. Hopefully I can get my truck back Monday, maybe...

Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Good luck man.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Geez man. Quite the trouble for a cam swap! I hope they get it squared away for you. Can't wait for some vids.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:42 AM

yea youre telling me! seems everytime I take my truck somewhere to get worked on, all these other problems show themselves. all this stuff lately is wearing me down. starting to get me a little discouraged about going much further with building the truck up. at this point with the cam swap, ive spend ALMOST as much as my whole turbo kit cost!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by black00chev
ive spend ALMOST as much as my whole turbo kit cost!!!
When I blew my 408 I realized the same thing. I could rebuild the 408 and put some heads on it or spend almost the same money and get the turbo kit. Don't get discouraged man. Its all part of the game
Old 09-14-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't worry man, you'll be cruizin' in no time! And when you are, all these pain in the *** moments will be forgotten
Old 09-15-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by oakley6575
When I blew my 408 I realized the same thing. I could rebuild the 408 and put some heads on it or spend almost the same money and get the turbo kit. Don't get discouraged man. Its all part of the game
Originally Posted by LOBO2
Don't worry man, you'll be cruizin' in no time! And when you are, all these pain in the *** moments will be forgotten
Thanks fellas, this is what I keep trying to tell myself!!!

I just hope im not getting duped on a couple of these "issues" like the starter and oil pump.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:34 PM

Ok so here is the newest update as of lunch time today...

New PCM came in, works great! The shop was able to start tuning and make either 5 or 6 full pulls on the dyno. After the last run they finally started to get the tapping sound that I had heard last week on the way to getting the truck flashed back to the factory tune. So they are going to go over everything again and see what they can figure out.

On a good note, the tune isn't too far from being done. I think they said they're about 80% done. It was left conservative for now until they figure out the tap. Just needs WOT tweaking and then to get out with me and do all the drivability tuning/trans tuning.

With that being said, SO FAR it has made 300rwhp and 320+rwtq. So im VERY happy in that respect. They didn't do any baseline pulls before they tore it down, but based of my ET and MPH, should've been around 260-270rwhp before.

Quick Reply: Tired Out '00 Ecsb Z71 Turbo Project/Build/Whatever