PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

The "Trash Truck"

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Trash Truck"

Well I have been a lurker for a while, (more reading about V6-V8 Swaps than anything) so I guess its time I start posting and create a build thread. A few months ago I picked up an 05 Silverado W/T (RCLB) with the 4.3 that is knocking and pinging with over 250K miles on it. The truck is "ROUGH" but it is a running truck and I picked it up for what I thought was a "GREAT" price ($1400) and I bought it with the idea to pull that tired V6 out and drop in a V8.

So I did a full tune-up on V6 (trying to extend its life a lil so I can save for the V8) but its still running like crap. So fast-forward to last week and I was able to find an LM7 with 862 heads (VIN T) out of a 99 Silverado for a good price ($600) complete motor with PCM and wiring harness, motor mounts, etc.

So I've been doing a lot of reading on the V6-V8 swaps to ensure I have everything needed (Never done an engine swap before) so that the swap can go without any (or minimal) hitches/issues.

Some pics for you guys:

I'll upload some more pics shortly.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 565 Likes on 487 Posts

Should be a decent project for sure.

Just food for thought if you plan to mod that engine, the 99's got smaller injectors compared to 00+ trucks and won't support much HP at all. Also the computers operating system is rather dull comapred to a 2001-2002 that was just updated much more as the years went on. Alot more features and just a better overal OS on them. That is something that can be changed if you have a tuner, might cost you a few extra bucks though.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FFDP
Should be a decent project for sure.

Just food for thought if you plan to mod that engine, the 99's got smaller injectors compared to 00+ trucks and won't support much HP at all. Also the computers operating system is rather dull comapred to a 2001-2002 that was just updated much more as the years went on. Alot more features and just a better overal OS on them. That is something that can be changed if you have a tuner, might cost you a few extra bucks though.
That is "GREAT" information - THANK YOU!!!! I did'nt know that the 99's were shortchanged in the injector dept. If there is anything else I should know I will certainly be grateful. so should I be looking out for 00+ 5.3 truck injectors??????????

Plan is to go thru the motor before installing it and possibly removing the Exhaust Manifolds and install a set of LTs before dropping the engine in. Also if there is anything else that I should consider doing before dropping the motor in - that would be great too. Other than saying put a Cam in it which I would love to do but I don't forsee having the funds to get that done before I install or the V6 kills itself. LOL

Here are some more pics:
1st day I drove it home the windshield rubber gasket came off - err that cant be good:

Then I found out the hard way that water was leaking onto the dash:

so I managed to silicone that section and stop it from leaking but now I notice that under the rubber floor on the drivers side its wet after it rains so there must be water getting in from somewhere. No worries also looking for an interior upgrade as well.

already have a Navigation system ready to install that my buddy is giving me for FREE-Ninety Nine - well actually for me helping him swap out the axles on his suburban but either way there will be a nice double din radio in there soon. plus dual zone AC/Heat - I thought was cool hopefully I can keep that after the engine swap:

Remember I said it was "ROUGH" but that's partly the reason for the nickname - Look at the rear glass Decal LOL :

And Hopefully soon this will be Stabbed in there:

Old 05-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

And for ***** and Giggles here is a pic of my last GMC - I miss her! Unfortunately had to sell her to help fund my house at the time!!!!!!! But this was originally a work truck converted to beauty:

Old 05-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Be a good idea to at least upgrade valve springs while your heads are off. Makes the cam swap a bit easier once you're ready for it.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  Truck5116.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  156.9 KB

Looks familiar! I was lucky and got a V8 in mine though. Is it Auto or Manual?
Old 05-14-2016, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Your old gmc was gorgeous. If you do change injectors don't forget to change the tune or it will run rich.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Teeny05

Looks familiar! I was lucky and got a V8 in mine though. Is it Auto or Manual?

Its an Auto - your truck looks great looks like a short bed?!?!??!
hopefully mine will look half that good!

Thanks Matte99.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Yea its short bed, I would of preferred the long bed for hauling but its working great so far! Mine is also a 5 Spd. So its a pretty fun truck as it is!