PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Turbo Time...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice build
Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the specs
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob..._774595_6.html
Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
That's a really nice turbo. Ball bearing I'm assuming based off the "R" designation. I'm curious though, based on Garrett's nomenclature, shouldn't that be a 102mm compressor wheel?
Garrett's labeling is way weired. Yes "THEY" call it a 102mm, but that is the measurement of the exduser on the compressor wheel, where the rest of the turbo community typically goes by the INDUCER, and that turbo had a 74mm Inducer, just like my S480 has a 80mm inducer. It's messed up I know and hard to follow,
Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Glad to see your getting it up and running! That turbo isn't THAT big... It's not as big as mine!
Haha I didnt think it was THAT big until I put it on the log, I had a grin from ear to ear All of my buddies with diesel trucks are all droolin over this thing thats for sure!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well we had another decent weekend of workin on the truck this weekend. Our goal was do get the down pipe set up to work with the new turbo and maybe get the motor and trans sitting in the truck. Well we were able to get both done.

We got the motor all buttoned up and got the log wrapped up. Next we started to assemble the hot pipes to start to work on the down pipe.

Heres the down pipe on hot pipes and you can see if needs to be moved over a little and moved back.

We didnt get any pics yet of it done but we used a 4" to 3" reducer and it came out pretty nicely. I'll use this for now seeing I have no idea on where the tight spots are on the truck to build a new one so I'd be doing it blind.

Motor meet truck, truck meet motor Hooked up a few plugs to let them get acquainted before we dropped the motor in there

Putting on the LS7 clutch. Used the old input shaft for the aliment tool, worked like a charm

As some of you may remember, I had troubles with the starter hitting the ring gear on my old 4.8, seein it had the longer crank. We put the starter on the just to double check. Its a MSD high torque starter from Summit. I got it because it doesnt have a cone so I can use it with my GTO M12 T56 bellhousing.

Trans slid right in...

Here she is, sitting in her new home.

Really glad I got this far but there is soooo much more work to be done. Finish putting the harness on the engine, wire all my gauges, fix my floor boards, new carpet, finish the interior, install meth kit, two step, and the rest of the cold pipes and Im sure Im forgetting a bunch of stuff!

I did run into a problem that I hope can be an easy fix. My A/C compressor line sticks straight up and hit the log. I cannot even bolt it on the truck at all. Im going to try to bend in down and over a little bit to clear it. Anyone have any tips? Heres a couple pics.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks like a good solid weekend of work pete... cant wait to here this thing whistle in a couple of weeks..
Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

looks good pete time to build mine tho ha im ready to do it its either going to be like a t70 single or i might go with a twin t70
Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

clench your *** and bend it over lol. slowly

wilde racing had some good pics in his thread, he had to move his a shitload!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by droppedchev
looks good pete time to build mine tho ha im ready to do it its either going to be like a t70 single or i might go with a twin t70
Haha Ive had about enough of working on this damn thing. Your truck should be a fun ride with a turbo/turbos

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
clench your *** and bend it over lol. slowly

wilde racing had some good pics in his thread, he had to move his a shitload!
Haha ya I was think about using a socket or something to help it "roll/bend" over. Ill have to check out Wildes thread for sure. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Looks good..what intake are you going to use

Quick Reply: Turbo Time...