PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Weekend thrash: Aksilverado

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And............idle vids. Still needs tuned, but I loaded up a quickie so it starts & runs. They're Photobucket vids, just click on the pics. I'll get them to Youtube later, and embed the vids, just not tonight.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

muts be going procharger with that size converter? i'm surprised that you'll didn't put some forged pistons in it while it was apart.

Last edited by pewterliftedz; 04-23-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That exhaust should handle it. Looks like great work, Roger. I might have been inclined to go with some forged pistons along with some ARP stuff but no biggie. Kudos, that's a lot of work for one weekend. Did you find that you needed spacers for the torque converter bolts?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looking good guys! What form of boost is in the works? Procharger? Maggie TVS?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dam looks and sounds good roger any spec's on the cam and the fi chose?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cam specs? Why did you open the rings up? Seems with a good tune the rods give up before the piston does.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did need to use spacers when bolting up the torque converter because there was just a little to much space between the pads and flex plate. Cam was a VHP 228/236 .551/.551 115LSA +2. And my FI choice will be a Maggie tvs 2300 series.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When is boost getting thrown on?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats gonna be running really nice, you wanna come down and help me on my motor work wish I could do it in a weekend
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm gonna be like my long-lost buddy Tom (Fastnblue) here, and be a multi-quote maniac.

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz
muts be going procharger with that size converter? i'm surprised that you'll didn't put some forged pistons in it while it was apart.
Most likely gonna be a larger PD blower, like a TVS2300 jackshaft, or something bigger. Hell, GM's putting 4.0 liter blowers on the 5.3 in their COPO program.... But we're looking for a hard launch here, so we went a little aggressive with the converter. It can be re-stalled if it doesn't work out. Forged pistons are expensive, and these things only have 10K miles on them. Plenty of guys going fast on the stock pistons lately.

Originally Posted by swift700
That exhaust should handle it. Looks like great work, Roger. I might have been inclined to go with some forged pistons along with some ARP stuff but no biggie. Kudos, that's a lot of work for one weekend. Did you find that you needed spacers for the torque converter bolts?
Haha, notice how I didn't take any close-ups of the exhaust welds? If these pistons die, I'm sure forged will go back in. But I think it'll be okay. And Chris included 2 different sizes of spacers with the 'verter. After measuring everything, the thinner spacers were chosen and installed.

Originally Posted by SLCviaAK
Looking good guys! What form of boost is in the works? Procharger? Maggie TVS?
Not 100% in concrete yet, but see above.

Originally Posted by ltr450ryder
Dam looks and sounds good roger any spec's on the cam and the fi chose?
Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Cam specs? Why did you open the rings up? Seems with a good tune the rods give up before the piston does.
When I started digging around asking about ring gap, and talking to different ring manufacturers, I learned a few things. LOTS of guys who are pushing the limits of stock rotating assemblies/pistons are running a wider ring gap with FI or nitrous. It becomes a math equation that "bore factor" decides ring gap based on bore diameter. I'm not reinventing the wheel here, just following what successful other guys have been doing. BTW, I measured the ring gap as they came out, and they were only .010" top ring, and .020" second ring. Too tight for boost or nitrous, according to the experts.
Lots of cam spec questions here. Somehow I expected that. Here's a pic of the cam card.

Originally Posted by aksilverado
I did need to use spacers when bolting up the torque converter because there was just a little to much space between the pads and flex plate. Cam was a VHP 228/236 .551/.551 115LSA . And my FI choice will be a Maggie tvs 2300 series.
Edited, no +2... Valve lift with the YT 1.8 should be .590"

Originally Posted by SLCviaAK
When is boost getting thrown on?
That's what I wanna know too!!!

Originally Posted by 2000chevysilverado
thats gonna be running really nice, you wanna come down and help me on my motor work wish I could do it in a weekend
It's gonna be a runner, for sure. I've never been to Kansas. Buy me a ticket! Haha!

Last edited by AKlowriderZ71; 04-23-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Weekend thrash: Aksilverado