PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Weekend thrash: Aksilverado

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill and I went and visited rogers shop today, thats a killer looking truck daniel has! Sounds badass too!

Andy, Im still just gathering parts but ill be ready for you sometime june/july timeframe, hopefully sooner!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:18 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by senge z71
Is the frame c-notched? Awesome build
No need to notch the frame on these GMT900 trucks for a 7" rear drop. Has good clearance to the frame, and also between the diff and the bed. But, much lower and there's gonna be some issues, at least in my mind. The GMT800 trucks is a whole different story though....

Originally Posted by swift700
That's almost identical to mine. I have a 116+2 rather than his 115 but expect that would be negligible. This cam simply pulls and pulls but still has gobs of bottom end even at 2600rpms with my blower. The lift ratio of .590 is valvespring friendly. It could easily be used for a bigger engine if he ever wanted one. Good choice

By the way, do you know what the overlap is? Mine worked out to zero degrees. I'm guessing 1 degree for that one.
And IIRC, you've said that you'd like a bigger blower. I've been paying attention.

As to your question about overlap, I couldn't tell you. Math sucks, I'd rather drink beer. I'll leave all that technical crap to a guy like Roger Vinci, who designed & engineered cam profiles for Crane Cams all those years. He seems pretty smart.

Originally Posted by AK907
I hate you guys! I can't wait until I get can get my truck and bring it to you Roger. Just need business to pick back up a little. Soo...who needs a chimney sweep?
You should stop by the shop sometime and say hi.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:30 AM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In to see some Alaskan ice drifting!!! When I was stationed in Maine, in the winter they would open a frozen lake for ice drag racing, they all had studded snow tires..... Y'all do that there? Would at least make for a good video
Old 04-25-2012, 02:33 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

I think it's the local SCCA that has some ice racing during the winter, out on Big Lake. I'll see if I can find any pics or vids for you guys. It's wheel-to-wheel racing, and studded or spiked tires are not allowed. Good times!
Old 04-25-2012, 03:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
You should stop by the shop sometime and say hi.
I've got plenty of free time lately, I may have to swing by next time I'm over that direction, put a face with a name...you're off Lucille, right?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
No need to notch the frame on these GMT900 trucks for a 7" rear drop. Has good clearance to the frame, and also between the diff and the bed. But, much lower and there's gonna be some issues, at least in my mind. The GMT800 trucks is a whole different story though....
Thanks. Do you recommend McGaughy's springs for the front too? Or is there better components out there? I know McGaughy's spindles are quality, their springs the best to get?

What kit number was used?

Last edited by rcsb jon; 04-25-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Teching In

I went with the McGaughy springs and knuckles. You feel more of the road as you drive, but the handling and steering is nice and tight. I had no problems with cv angles or steering components and alignment went right in place. The only thing is minor rubbing of fender liners when turned all the way to lock. Would highly recommend their kit for anyone looking to drop their truck.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by aksilverado
I went with the McGaughy springs and knuckles. You feel more of the road as you drive, but the handling and steering is nice and tight. I had no problems with cv angles or steering components and alignment went right in place. The only thing is minor rubbing of fender liners when turned all the way to lock. Would highly recommend their kit for anyone looking to drop their truck.
thanks for the response. appreciate that. your truck looks and sounds great. clean taste too. stance is right on
Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Added an Airaid intake tube and did some tuning. This thing's a pretty stout performer!

Sidenote: A6 tuning sucks, or I suck at it.....

Old 04-29-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of guys who are tripped up on tuning A6's. Don't feel bad.

Quick Reply: Weekend thrash: Aksilverado