PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Work in progress

First time I have ever done a thread like this so bear with me.

I've been lurking and window shopping for a while. Actually tried to deal on a couple different trucks but had timing issues with work. After an injury left my right arm paralyzed I figured I would just buy a toy. That toy ended up being a 5.3 swapped S10. After neck surgery to install a metal plate and screws my arm has come back a bit. I won't be winning any arm wrestling matches for a while but beats what I had. So the itch to get dirty is back. I was an ASE master tech for years and my toolbox has been in storage for far too long.

So the project is a 2000 rcsb stepside Silverado Z71. Wasn't looking for a 4x4 but a friend had it and it was cleaner than anything else I could find local.

Goal is a fun daily that I can drive anywhere. Has to be damn reliable. Bed has to useful. Needs to be comfy for long road trips. Low is better for me to get stuff in and out of the back.

I really like the performance of the S10 and the look and stance are just about perfect. I'm not a toothpick and my neck doesn't bend too well so the Silverado is a better choice.

I know....Lets make the big truck look like the little truck!

Well the first thing I did was a double din swap and new speakers. Nothing fancy so no need for details.

Second item was a hard folding bedcover. I have to haul stuff that can't get wet. The folks at advance folding cover did this custom cover that is perfect for our needs.

Then the parts collecting began.
Electric fans, new radiator,fan relay kit, DJM upper/lower arms/flip kit to lower it 4/6, nicely built 4l60E, Circle D 2300 stall (same as the S10),40k tru cool cooler, new brakes on all four corners (bigger brakes from newer truck and SUV, both front hub wheel bearing assemblies, long tube headers, Innovate mxl wideband.

I have a racetronics pump and hotwire kit picked out

The plan calls for a 6.0 to drop in. Haven't purchased that yet. Debating on a crate motor. Leaning ATK or Blueprint engine. Not sure if I want to run the stock intake or invest in something fancy. The 17yo troublemaker in the S10 pic starts college next month and she is driving the wife's wheels. So this project can't start for real until then.

I would love to have 500 rwhp when done. But that just isn't going to happen in round one of this build. So later after the wife see's that it's not fast enough for her we will do some changing.

Feel free to leave comments or useful advice. Always looking for insight.

Thanks if you managed to read this far!
Attached Thumbnails Work in progress-att_1401842993587172.jpeg   Work in progress-20140707_173855.jpg   Work in progress-20140511_170236.jpg   Work in progress-13-2.jpg   Work in progress-20131228_170934.jpg  

Last edited by Hulign; 07-17-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you're after all out reliability, I would drop a junkyard 6.0L in with a roots or twin screw blower. It would make 500rwhp very reliably and be super fun to daily drive.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

This truck is currently my daily. Last week I noticed some odd slow speed shifting. Decided maybe it was better to get the trans swapped out before it breaks. The trans that I pull out is going straight in to be rebuilt for a spare.

I have HP tuners. Hopefully I can muddle thru enough info to get the programming done for the 3200 stall.

If anyone has a good thread or insight/experience here I could use some advice.
Attached Thumbnails Work in progress-att_140557187990247.jpeg  
Old 07-17-2014, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

The thought had crossed my mind to go with a junkyard build. Honestly though my last 3 roadtrips have a combined total of over 10,000 miles. I'm not sure I can trust a junkyard build that much. Also the budget has limits. I have a had time putting more money into the motor than I paid for the whole truck. I figured I would wait till I had forgotten about the $$ a little then upgrade with a power adder.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Transmission is done... Pecked my way thru hptuners trying to adjust for trans. Need to find an email tune but trying to hold off til the motor is done.

If anyone has a recommendation let me know. HPtuners friendly please since that's what I own.

Funny thing is I noticed a puddle after it had set for a while. Realized it was coming out of the bed drain. Didn't notice that the core had leaked in the bed. What a mess!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Was in the doctors office on Friday talking about doing a left shoulder joint replacement...so Saturday seemed like a good day to tear into doing this DJM lowering stuff. I got the passenger side all done although I'm not sure I will need the upper arms when its said and done. Was feeling really brave and decided to tackle the drivers side. Got the new arm ready to put on and damn if they didn't send me two passenger side arms. CRAP.

So I will get to test their customer service on Monday.

I ended up doing the lower control arms and drop keys. Hoping to end up at about 4 inches or so up front but will go lower if I have to. These replacement arms seem pretty beefy but disappointing that the uppers don't have provisions for the brake line tab and abs wires. Hate using zip ties for this.

So right now the truck is sitting 3.5 inches lower on the passenger side with new wheel bearing and latter model bigger brakes. I had to put the drivers side back together so I can move it in and out.

If I can move my left arm tomorrow I will go ahead and do the rear flip kit.

Wish me luck.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Well the guy at DJM was nice enough. Called on Monday and had a control arm on Friday. So the front is done more or less. Need to go back over all the bolts and just double check things. So I ended up doing the bearing assemblies, bigger brake rotors and calipers from an 05 truck, upper and lower DJM arms and a set of drop keys. I didn't think it was that low till I drove it 20 feet. No since in doing any adjustment till I get the rear done.

As for the rear....

I'm doing a new fuel pump and hotwire harness from racetronics and no way was I trying to do the flip and notch with the bed on. So I decided to yank it off. Got to the lat bed bolt and the captured nut spun. Plasma cutter made short work of that bolt.

So off comes the bed!

Started looking at the frame and the notch kit and it just didn't look right. The frame has ridges stamped in it. The c notch isn't going to sit flush on the frame. Started digging around and found out the 99-00 frame was different and the only one who makes a c notch for it seems to be belltech. $379 for just the notch kit! Not like I have any real choice at this point. Found it for $280 online and ordered it.

Have been debating on caltrac or assassin bars. Have caltracs on our S10 and honestly I have never touched them. I know they are set loose but for me it's more about wheel hop. I like spinning the tires and I don't race.

So I sent an email SRDparts asking a couple questions...never got a reply. You also can't place an order from the website. I found the instructions online and realized I would have cut one leaf spring and drill another.

Caltracs work on the S10, they answer emails. So ordered them today.

After seeing the truck down on the 18"stock wheels with the brakes looking claustrophobic I have started looking at wheels. Thinking something low key. I'm not a chrome kind of guy. Hell I barely wash my stuff.

I like these in the pic but they are 22" and not sure I want to go over a 20". Will have to figure out what fits when I get the adjustments done.

So now I'm back to waiting....
Attached Thumbnails Work in progress-2014-07-27-17.54.26-medium-.jpg   Work in progress-20140727_164452-medium-.jpg   Work in progress-20140727_165943-medium-.jpg   Work in progress-screenshot_2014-07-28-15-45-07-medium-.png  
Old 07-30-2014, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much did that folding bed cover cost you?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Around $750. Custom made from Advance folding cover. So far it works pretty well. Stays dry enough and I like being able to flip the front back. Took a little tweaking to get the latches right but they are at least metal. Nobody else makes one for the stepside. I called and they charged $40 extra to make it to measurements. Had it in about a week.

More for utility than looks but perfect for our needs.

Might get one for our S10 too.

Nice people to deal with.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hulign
This truck is currently my daily. Last week I noticed some odd slow speed shifting. Decided maybe it was better to get the trans swapped out before it breaks. The trans that I pull out is going straight in to be rebuilt for a spare.

I have HP tuners. Hopefully I can muddle thru enough info to get the programming done for the 3200 stall.

If anyone has a good thread or insight/experience here I could use some advice.
Sweet Yamaha tattoo!

Quick Reply: Work in progress