PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Working on the wagon

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working on the wagon

Hey there guys I in the slow process of building a 1976 vega wagon. I started out going to make a daily driver but found a lot of rust in all of the suspension mount points. I had a 1987 2 door 2wd S-10 blazer here that I could not do anything with anyways so did a little measuring and discovered the frame and track width were perfect for the vega. The only problem was the blazer has a 101" wheel base and the vega is 97". I decided I would stretch the wheel base on the car so I could use the brake and fuel lines from the blazer.
Out came the saw-zaw and off went the front end and floor boards.

Then I moved the wheel arches back.

I then set the body on the frame to see how things were going to fit. Things looked pretty good except for the position of the seats. The frame is narrow and tall from the firewall to the back seat.

I decided I would build new frame rails from the firewall to the spring perches in the rear. I used some 2"x3" tubing that I had around here. They now go all the way out to the rockers so should have plenty of room to drop the floor and have the seats low enough to get in. Here are a few pics so far. I need to get them in the car still.

I am also building an iron block LS1 to go in this thing along with a 200-4r trans. and an 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears and a limited slip, we will have to see how that works out.
I will keep this updated as I get along with it but it will be slowly. I work nights and have a wife and 3 kids so time and money are limited.
Thank you for looking

Last edited by lsvega-s; 03-05-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool build
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Cool build, I would have shortened the frame, but only because I HATE any kind of body work. But you did a good job out of it and it's probably gonna take a sharp eye to notice.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the compliments.

Yeah, I would have shortened the frame had I known what was going to happen later on. My original thought was I could use the fuel lines, brake lines, and drive shaft from the blazer and save a little cash. I kind of like it like this now that it is done though. It gives me more room for the mini tubs without getting into the back seat.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool project!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

I worked on the frame a little bit yesterday. Got the rails in and the front tied together. Still have to tie the back all in and box it together but here are some pics so far.

Let me know what you think of this.
Thank you
Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

i got rhe back side all tied up and thew some paint on it. Also set the mock up engine and trans. in. They are not in there final resting places I just wanted to see how close things were going to be. Still have to drop the engine a couple of inches and build a transmission mount but this is pretty close.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

I finally got the frame and body back together. I loaded it up and took it to a friends shop to see if it all came out level and square. Its a bit tough on the dirt floor I am working on here. All was good. Here are a couple of pictures with it on the trailer still. I still need to lower the front a little but so far I am happy with the way it looks.
It has a 4.8 in it for mock up but I just bought an L33 aluminum 5.3. It has 60,xxx miles on it. I am thinking about milling the heads and smoothing out the ports and putting in a cam.

Last edited by lsvega-s; 07-17-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet build! That L33 should work pretty nice in that car with what you want to do with it.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Nice project! That thing should be pretty quick when its done.

Quick Reply: Working on the wagon