Racing and Kills Forum Be smart and safe!

1500 RC/SB v-8 vs Grand Prix GTP-G

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 RC/SB v-8 vs Grand Prix GTP-G

I hate to post this here but it was interesting. My girlfriend who I live with pimps a 2005 GTP Comp G as her daily driver. It is a nice car, fairly quick and drives like a dream. I got her a PCM/pulley/intake for x mas (not really but had to justify it as a gift to her/me). Well, we left cheaper by the dozen last night and were heading home on a two lane each direction road. Well it goes to the infamous one lane. I'm in the right hand lane and this RC/SB chevy with a younger kid kept pacing us in the left hand lane that ends. Couldn't figure it out b/c I passed him really fast then he just starts pacing at my drivers rear corner panel. Well he attempts to make a run on me. I gently roll into it till he's a my door then drop the hammer and WTF traction control at 45 mph??? Well it grips and we're gone after he gets to my hood. Bam...the last light before the road goes to one lane turns red. We both stop, I stop short about a 1/2 a car back from the line and rolls up with a glare in my eyes. He really bits, mumbles to the girl riding shotgun and I look over at my g/f. She's like don't even do it, you know you'll win. I said I wouldn't so the light turns green and he slowly goes then bam hes going hard, I only pace him at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I continue there and he lets off and I start pulling away, then I see the headlamps rise again, I said f this and hit it. Blower sreaming for mercy and the speedo climbing past 110 I made my point. He was way behind at 90 which is where I should have left off but I had to really make it a point. I hate to post this and love my chevy truck but, +1 for the GTP. If he's on here good run bud.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

if they made a GTP rear wheel drive, i woulda been all over it. I was looking at a 99 but i heard the body styles had problems with spinning the cam bearings or something
Old 01-16-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never really heard of any 3.8L engines that have problems. the 3.8L motor is the most reliable v-6 GM makes. I'd say it would even compete with most of their V-8, if not out last them.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
Never really heard of any 3.8L engines that have problems. the 3.8L motor is the most reliable v-6 GM makes. I'd say it would even compete with most of their V-8, if not out last them.
Yeah, I've heard that also. The 3.8s are pretty good engines.

btw, Good kill.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Well the guy i heard it from went through 2 mildly modded motors for the same reason, but i'm sure stock they would last for a while stock
Old 01-17-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Huh, sounds like your friend had a tune issue, engine builder issue or user error, mildly modded motors go over 100K easy. Many people with L67s are pushing well over 300 whp and have motors last over 100K.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Teching In

also don't forget that 3.8 is also what powered the GN's and T-Types from buick and they can put out tons of power and run forever
Old 01-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Teching In

As an 00 GTP owner, gotta say these cars are sweet. They have no cam issues and 100k miles means the motor is just getting broken in Mine has 110k miles and runs GREAT. With just DHP PCM, removed res/cat/ubend, homamade CAI, and smaller 3.4 pulley ($390 total) I ran 13.97@99.7. Scrapin 4.8, your friend needs to buy something else, either he is VERY unlucky, not researching mods, or trying to tune without a clue how to. MonteCarlo31, is there any exhaust work? At least removing the U-bend is required to really run that pulley safely and the minor exhaust work I did made a HUGE difference in mid/top end power. And you cannot beat the sound of an Eaton in full song
Old 02-01-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

u bend on an 05, never heard of it, I know the older ones have that problem but the new one definatly doesn't have a U bend.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i raced one way back when... i only had intake, exhaust, hypertech, and shift kit tho... he blew my doors off... i didnt stand a chance what so ever. I felt bad, bc my girlfriend was with me and we had been out all day shopping for cars for her... after she seen that thing fly past me as i was maxing out the speedo... she told me thts what she wanted, lol. Soon after is when i did the cam, stall, rear end, gears, and tranny... lol i havent found that same GTP yet.. maybe some day.

Quick Reply: 1500 RC/SB v-8 vs Grand Prix GTP-G