Racing and Kills Forum Be smart and safe!

awd vs rwd

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:15 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default awd vs rwd

just saw that other thread but it got locked down. thought i would post up my $.02

on the street 99.9% of the time awd will own. the only exception i can think of is a well preped street like those crazy street races where they put vht and rubber down but that really isn't normal street racing.

on the track i am very confident i would have ran faster with just rwd. it would have taken a well preped track and the proper rear end set up, slicks, weight reduction/relocation, soft front shocks... all the normal drag racing stuff. you need weight transfer to load the tires and if you can get that done then the 2wd will beat the awd. once you get the truck to hook well enough the front tires wont even be on the ground so what is the point of having awd?

the question is do you want a drag truck? you can do pretty well in an awd without doing much but to get a rwd to hook takes more of an effort but if you go thru the effort it will be faster than a same powered 2wd.

also, driver has very little to do with the et a truck will run. if it is an auto then the et is mostly about the set up. my truck drove it self. put it in drive and mash the gas. i spent all my time geting ready before i got to the track. if it were rwd it would have been the same. suspension settings, boost and nitrous settings, tire presures. all preperations before the run.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

having daily driven/raced both RWD and AWD. I have to favor the AWD.

Like mentioned, in any circumstances other then a well prepped track, AWD is a better vehicle. Rain, snow, ice, anything.

Unless I was building for all out ET's, I'll stick to AWD.

my 2 cents.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:02 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

4WD/AWD I imagine it's pretty much the same for all intent and purpose. I have to admit my truck does drive itself with 4wd I don't need to have the "right" tires and I am just at the level where a few suspension tweaks might help a little but with 2wd I know I would have to pay a lot more attention.
On the street I don't believe there is much that will hook and launch faster from a red light.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

street awd launches have to look like you just did a 1.2 60' from the 2wd guy's seat. LOL That's why everybody does "from a roll" in all these vids. All hail the pioneer!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:10 PM
single digit dreamer

speaking of awd street launch.

this was one of my favorite races ever. the 2nd run where kyle was in front of the truck. you can't really see it but you can hear it. all 4 wheels are squealing and the truck is calmly drifting a little from side to side. this is very good concrete. the best in town, thats why people race there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfLG8...eature=related
Old 10-09-2008, 08:15 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

lol, who woulda thunk it?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Import Moderator

BUT... I still love my RWD

Last edited by beastmode; 10-09-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Import Moderator

At the same time... I dont think ppl should use DRs as an excuse to losing to a RWD on the street... fair is fair, if the tires are street legal... might as well run em, whats the point in challenging someone only if they are gonna run their stock 20s?

All in all though, AWD gets my vote on the street (provided there is enough power involved to need it).
Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Baltimore Whore

I agree, unless it is perfect conditions, the street is prepped or you have time to get them hot, the awd will get the jump.. Instance, my buddy, 03 sti(modded vs buddys 02 z28 modded) on the street, the sti beat the **** out of the Z 4 in a row with like a 2 car jump, the z owner can drive.. From a 35 roll, bye bye sti... Also the z had the aftermarket tunnel bar, was set up

John

Quick Reply: awd vs rwd