Racing and Kills Forum Be smart and safe!

awd vs rwd

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 PM
SPAM HUNTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In reference to the video in post #6. Wow that truck scoots, and now its just not the same... Way to go, and all you have to show for it is a very nice and well built garage. Way to go...*shakes head*
Old 10-09-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

I think driver has alot to do with launching especially on the street. I've witness a friend's 2WD D-Max run down similar modded trucks that were 4x4. He knows his truck and how hard he can launch it. He doesn't get pedal happy when they leave out on him. The extra weight of the 4x4 and extra power it takes through the t-case and front end is the only down fall of a 4WD/AWD. The same friend also has a '94 LT1 Trans AM, running stock style suspension (BMR Products) on a P325/50R15 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial. He has launched the car off the trans brake on a good concrete road and picked up the front tires enough to see daylight underneath them. His car has been 9.83 @ 136mph.

On the other hand, having AWD is nice to have espically on a sh!tty road or unprepped track when money may be on the line.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is always a "special" case. But for surprise heads up racing, I can't imagine rwd winning most of the time (we are talking about an awd that is fast launch can't win everything). I mean the dmax and transam are fine cases of that "special" moment. LOL Like the vid above, I am with beastie, if it's street legal, you get to brag.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd have to agree with AWD being better then rwd on the street. Last summer at the local 1/4 mile STOCK car track I used to race at, they had a spectator street race night where anyone could come race the street car. It was a one lap race from a standing start. I ended up finishing second to a modded AWD Subaro STI. Everyone else I beat by smoking them off the line and into the first turn with a 4wd boosted lanch. They where all like WTF?? a big *** truck getting the jump on Camaros, Chargers, SRT4 Neons... It was a blast! One race I had a Camaro right on my *** coming off turn 4 and I was pushing it as hard as I could and had my truck in a big 4 wheel drift SIDEWAYS on the asphalt, The crowd LOVED it! Would have loved to have that one on a vid
Old 10-10-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

The only thing that kinda made me dislike 4WD or AWD was seeing a H2 with a built 408 w/turbo launch at the track, broke the front end which instantly made the Hummer make a hard left and almost took out the guy he was racing against. I know similar can happen if you break an axle or something in a RWD, but you still can steer it, where as this hummer wasn't able to steer it after breaking.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by three83
The only thing that kinda made me dislike 4WD or AWD was seeing a H2 with a built 408 w/turbo launch at the track, broke the front end which instantly made the Hummer make a hard left and almost took out the guy he was racing against. I know similar can happen if you break an axle or something in a RWD, but you still can steer it, where as this hummer wasn't able to steer it after breaking.

you bring up a good point that i forgot about. how safe is 1000+hp into a 4wd driveline. what happens with the front diff lets go and locks up?

it seems we are mostly on the same page with this awd vs rwd. not trying to overly defend a rwd only set up but if i were to build a truck with the intention of running 9's i would start with a rwd.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like AWD/4WD on the street. MOST 2wds are gonna be playing catch up BAD off the line unless they have some suspension work/tires done.

I know my Camaro would pull 60's close to what my trucks pull at the track but, on the street(even on drag radials) I'd have to roll into it. Now, it still launched well on the street but, my trucks(AWD/4wd) are the same on the street as at the track.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Awd Bad *** vid and truck dude man!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by parish8
you bring up a good point that i forgot about. how safe is 1000+hp into a 4wd driveline. what happens with the front diff lets go and locks up?

it seems we are mostly on the same page with this awd vs rwd. not trying to overly defend a rwd only set up but if i were to build a truck with the intention of running 9's i would start with a rwd.
Hopefully whatever breaks in the front end will happen on a launch at low speed, not a good situation either way. It is pretty impressive that the 1/2ton front diff can hold up as well as it does.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:43 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen to that x2

Quick Reply: awd vs rwd