Racing and Kills Forum Be smart and safe!

beat an SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeperlqx
this thread is funny, 90% of you wish you did have a SS to add all the bolt-on crap from your 4.8s and 5.3s to the 6.0 that comes in the SS. Which is a better starting point and will makes gobs more power. If the SS had just half of the mods the OP has, it would be a different story. Not really mad at the OP, just the people who says the SS is ****, cause it aint. Its a better starting point to do mods too, and has the most potential compared to the other trucks.

Now stock form, I agree the SS is slow, but GM has to answer to alot of government and EPA BS. But they did leave the table open for us to do ALOT with...
I agree 100%, but I really dont have alot of mods: tune, intake, full exhaust.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread is funny, 90% of you wish you did have a SS to add all the bolt-on crap from your 4.8s and 5.3s to the 6.0 that comes in the SS. Which is a better starting point and will makes gobs more power. If the SS had just half of the mods the OP has, it would be a different story. Not really mad at the OP, just the people who says the SS is ****, cause it aint. Its a better starting point to do mods too, and has the most potential compared to the other trucks.

Why get a 4.8 or a 5.3 when you can spend a little more and get a 6.0? I like SS. Too bad they quit making them. The 6.2 would be nice in a 6.2 and everyone could talk **** about them too!!!

And good kill OP!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by outlawz2004
I agree 100%, but I really dont have alot of mods: tune, intake, full exhaust.
funny, cause thats all the SS needs to annihilate you. It responds excellent to just 1 of those mods.... so imagine the combination of all 3 of them... Wont be a standing chance in still waters. I was not intending to flame you, I understand where you are coming from but some of the comments from i20rider is uncalled for... just pure ignorance.

I too raced a stock SS with my stock 5.3, and the SS was coming for my **** real quick. Few months later I got a VMAX engine, just the tune alone anhilates 98% of the people on my comute to work. Just to show you that GM cut half 50% of the engines output in the tune alone. I would say from experience it responds very very well. Next week will be headers and stall, that alone is going to shave 1 sec off my times or damn near it with the retune.

sorry for my rant.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So what about the cammed/stalled SSS's I've beaten?

If they were lighter, then yes they'd be a contender. But there are a lot of slow SSS's, even modded. Now that being said, I'd trade my truck for an SSS/Denali any day simply because it's just a nicer truck.

Now the TBSS on the other hand is another story.

Last edited by 00ChevyScott; 01-05-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Scott I have to say I wouldn't be scared to put my SSS up against that ole chevy of yours haha

Given the funds, the AWD SSS' can be beasts beyond belief, especially with the transfer case GM put in them.

I personally don't have the funds but i've noticed tons from bolt-ons, and i'd kill to see what it'd run in the 1/4. The biggest problem i've had out of it is keeping a tranny in it.. i'd just rather not get on that subject.

From driving mine all the time, the only thing I can't stand is weight, the sucker is a tank.. but it's got endless possibilities because of it

Sorry for my rant, but being 2wd would be near enough for you to eat a stock SSS up... the AWD under these things is killer for weight..

and ya luxury is a huge bonus for these trucks.. and the "oh sweet look it's an ss" is always appealing haha
Old 01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

funny, cause thats all the SS needs to annihilate you. It responds excellent to just 1 of those mods.... so imagine the combination of all 3 of them... Wont be a standing chance in still waters. I was not intending to flame you, I understand where you are coming from but some of the comments from i20rider is uncalled for... just pure ignorance.

I too raced a stock SS with my stock 5.3, and the SS was coming for my **** real quick. Few months later I got a VMAX engine, just the tune alone anhilates 98% of the people on my comute to work. Just to show you that GM cut half 50% of the engines output in the tune alone. I would say from experience it responds very very well. Next week will be headers and stall, that alone is going to shave 1 sec off my times or damn near it with the retune.

sorry for my rant.
Like I said before, I totally agree with you. If I could have afforded one, the SS was my truck of choice. A simple tune should do wonders for it like it did for mine. I just figured a 6.0 and better gears than mine would have put up a little better fight than it did.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

You can make anything fast. Some just take more money than others.

I rather have a limited edition truck than a regular one. That's why I do
Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GodBuiltMy5oh
Manualy shift an auto? I'd rather do what needs to be done to the trans and computer to let it shift by itself. Consistent
oh yea i know what you mean, mines set to shift at 6 grand, thats just how they do it cause they rather buy a superchips and pay 250 to have hangers put on than spend money on a good tune. which in south east ga theres not much choices other than mail orders, theres a guy in green cove fl that tuned mine but every other truck ive saw him tune has had issues, one of my buddies had a hot cam in his 04 and even after the tune he had to idleing issue.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

You have to take into account no 2 trucks run the same regardless of identical make, model, or mods. You line up 3 brand new Silverado SS's fresh off the lot and i guarantee one will be faster than the others. Same goes for mods. Some trucks run better than others.

The best "corrected time" Ive ever run was a 13.9 modded. There are stock RCSB tundras running 13s. Im sure the same can be said with any truck make.

You should consider yourself lucky you happened to run into a pretty much stock SS. Most of the ones Ive seen at the track and on this forum are far from it. Ive beaten a few SS's pretty easy but i know that its pretty hard to find any SS thats not at least hitting mid to low 14's if not faster.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

There are only two SS trucks that are local around here, both black, both 100% stock.

Quick Reply: beat an SS