Racing and Kills Forum Be smart and safe!

bike kill = one mad dude.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
I know very little about sport bikes, but the way I took what he was saying is that some sport bikes are much faster 50 to 100 than 100 to 150 due to poor aerodynamics at higher speeds. I don't think he was comparing aerodynamics of the two vehicles.
Didn't want to let this get too crazy, but I couldn't reply earlier.

Tx is correct. Someone mentioned trap times etc, and I simply made the comment at high speeds, these trap times and 1/4 mile times mean very little. High higher speeds, their trap speeds don't reflect their capabilities in the least. Therefore, the argument is not which is more aerodynamic than the other, but which one has the best power to aerodynamic ratio for the speed traveled.

So you have a 12 second truck, vs an 11 second motorcycle, but if the rider has big feet, it can slow him down by a few mph, that's how much it effects a motorcycle. Yes, that is a little silly, but it drives my point home. Not to mention, put me on a bike, and chances are it's slower than most typical riders (200lbs), where as in the truck, we probably won't see a difference.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

this thread went to **** so i didnt read all the way through, but badass kill for a big hoe to be walkin a bike on the interstate! a turbo anything is gonna pull hard at those speeds so im sure it happened (plus you have posted for a while and seemed like an honest guy)

either way cool kill man its nice to put someone in their place! oh and as said before get a gun just in case!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
Oh, not trying to argue it. You have me very interested about it. Be curious to see an article or more research on it. Everything I have read and was taught about street bikes is they are all about aerodynamics and the least resistance. Always up for learning new things..
There is very little out there, but, drag coefficients are typically rated with a number. The higher the rating, the more the drag. A high performance sports car might have about a .3-.4, a sports bike rates at 1 or more. An actual brick would rate close to 1.2.

Too many rough edges, holes, bumps, the rider, very little about a bike screams slippery. If it's makes you feel better, I ride a Harley...the aerodynamics of a house. lol
Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read about the aerodynamics of a bike being very poor as well. But at the speeds where that comes into play it's really a moot point for most riders.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
I love how everybody keeps getting hung up on my 12.33 run. Horrible 60ft and boost was lower than normal due to new cam. I'll run what every it is you wanna run. Not cocky, I just don't care. I just like the rush of the race. If I loose I loose if I win I win it's all good. It's just fun to me. I mean hell it's a 6020lb tahoe with kid seats in the back. I can't win them all. .
I know some good people locally (not ricers) that you would probably enjoy hanging out with. PM me your cell cause any 6000lb SUV in the 12's is pretty damn impressive!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I read about the aerodynamics of a bike being very poor as well. But at the speeds where that comes into play it's really a moot point for most riders.
Bike areo's are very poor. They really don't hurt much till the 160mph range. It only takes 150rwhp to go 180mph on a bike but it takes 200rwhp to go 200mph..
Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Troponin
Didn't want to let this get too crazy, but I couldn't reply earlier.

Tx is correct. Someone mentioned trap times etc, and I simply made the comment at high speeds, these trap times and 1/4 mile times mean very little. High higher speeds, their trap speeds don't reflect their capabilities in the least. Therefore, the argument is not which is more aerodynamic than the other, but which one has the best power to aerodynamic ratio for the speed traveled.

So you have a 12 second truck, vs an 11 second motorcycle, but if the rider has big feet, it can slow him down by a few mph, that's how much it effects a motorcycle. Yes, that is a little silly, but it drives my point home. Not to mention, put me on a bike, and chances are it's slower than most typical riders (200lbs), where as in the truck, we probably won't see a difference.
Your analogy is close but too liberal. Feet won't cause you to lose MPH...Maybe .xx MPH. This isn't land speed racing above 160(ish) mph so. I drag raced cycles for over 4 years and no matter how i sat on the bike it never affected MPH by more than 1mph...
Old 09-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
Oh, not trying to argue it. You have me very interested about it. Be curious to see an article or more research on it. Everything I have read and was taught about street bikes is they are all about aerodynamics and the least resistance. Always up for learning new things..
Sport Rider-Testing Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki ZX-12R aerodynamics in the wind tunnel
Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gnd111
I know some good people locally (not ricers) that you would probably enjoy hanging out with. PM me your cell cause any 6000lb SUV in the 12's is pretty damn impressive!
I'd like to meet some new people around here. Most of my car buddies live in texas now. We all got transfered around being navy and all. And it's very hard to find truck guys that actually have a damn clue. And you usually figure it out in about 2mins into the conversation. I have one friend here that has. 4.3 turbo silvy I built an a 97 seria with a 383 ls1 I helped build and that's about it.

For the record, I looked up some pic of the bike I raced. It was a model from the 90's from what I could tell. Still fast but I'm sure not tip top shape.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

That was an awesome read, never looked at it from that side. I think everyone is caught up in the power to weight ration game and don't take that into consideration.