Racing and Kills Forum Be smart and safe!

damn tundra spanked me!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open
The greatest part is that it would out 60' my Z06 (on street tires of course) and out run it to about 35 mph.
Yep it was a crazy combo. I say "was" because I just pulled the 6.2L/6L80E out and put the 6.0L/4l60E back in. I need to buy a bigger truck unfortunately to tow my trailers. The 6.0L/4L60E seems like a complete turd compared to the 6.2L/6L80E. Well, I guess it is a turd, it doesn't even come close to running with my car. I still think the hp rating on the 6.2 must be conservative because it feels a heck of a lot more than a 60hp difference.
Man, that really makes me sad that I have the 6.0 and 60e but I don't think there's any other way if you want a fully functioning truck.

Do you think that just the addition of the 6l80e to the LQ9 would really wake things up?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 6L80E would make a pretty big difference in my opinion but there is something to do with the engine. The LQ9 feels downright lazy when revving compared to the L92.
To put it in perspective...
With the short tires I have on my truck the 6L80 shifts into fifth gear just before the end of the 1/4 mile. A comparatively powerful engine with the 4L60 would only about half-way through third gear. What I mean is I have two extra shifts with an average of about .4 seconds each before the 1/4 mile is over so as great as the 6L80 is the L92 also has to be a factor with the elapsed time.

Correction to the fifth gear statement and the time -> my best run came with moving the shift points up so the trans wouldn't shift to fifth before the run was over. When shifting into fifth I was hovering in the 13.0x times. I bumped the shift points up to eliminate the extra shfit in the hopes of getting into the 12's.

Last edited by Wide Open; 07-14-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

How to make a bunch of people waste thier time.....Create a noob screen name and go into the kill section and post how you whooped a cobra with a stock truck and leave

JK...I didnt do that lol
Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OrlandoFL4.8
How to make a bunch of people waste thier time.....Create a noob screen name and go into the kill section and post how you whooped a cobra with a stock truck and leave

JK...I didnt do that lol

aaaaaaahahahahah

was that you that did that?? whoever did that, i gave em props. i found it humorous, and knew these folks would jump all over it! too funny.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wide Open
The 6L80E would make a pretty big difference in my opinion but there is something to do with the engine. The LQ9 feels downright lazy when revving compared to the L92.
To put it in perspective...
With the short tires I have on my truck the 6L80 shifts into fifth gear just before the end of the 1/4 mile. A comparatively powerful engine with the 4L60 would only about half-way through third gear. What I mean is I have two extra shifts with an average of about .4 seconds each before the 1/4 mile is over so as great as the 6L80 is the L92 also has to be a factor with the elapsed time.

Correction to the fifth gear statement and the time -> my best run came with moving the shift points up so the trans wouldn't shift to fifth before the run was over. When shifting into fifth I was hovering in the 13.0x times. I bumped the shift points up to eliminate the extra shfit in the hopes of getting into the 12's.
That's very interesting. I honestly didn't think there was that much difference between the LQ9 and L92. What are your thoughts on why there is such a big difference? Certainly a slightly bigger bore can't make that much of a difference. Is it the heads? Cam?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
That's very interesting. I honestly didn't think there was that much difference between the LQ9 and L92. What are your thoughts on why there is such a big difference? Certainly a slightly bigger bore can't make that much of a difference. Is it the heads? Cam?
I honestly don't know. The heads are awesome, the intake and throttle body are freaking huge and the cam really comes on above 2500 rpm and doesn't fall off (though I was only revving to 6200). I think it might be a freak because it should take about 400 rwhp to motivate a 4500 pound vehicle to nearly 105 mph in the quarter. The L92 is only rated at 403 crank hp. I made several runs and was never below 103 mph.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 PM
I hate my cats

Wide Open, dude, you really gotta post up some pics or vids of that thing. It sounds deadly.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a little nitrous with that combo would be an 11 second ride for sure... well, more than a little nitrous, but thats fast as hell for a stock setup!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra
i know, but this is my DD, about 80 miles/day, and a 6.0 is a gas hogg! even with the 4.11's i am still averaging 17+ all around.... and about 19 hwy....

a 6.0 would move it faster though. if i ever get the "honda civic work car mod", then i might do a 6.0.
EEK... i get better gas mileage than that in my turd.. and thats with a 80E... who tuned yours?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wyttrash96
Wide Open, dude, you really gotta post up some pics or vids of that thing. It sounds deadly.
I wish I had some videos. Going to the track was a spur of the moment thing so I went alone and unfortunately I didn't have anyone to take any videos.
Sadly, I have the 6.2L/6L80E out and a 6.0L/4L60E back in. I am getting about 19 mpg with the 6.0L but ultimately I need to move up to a bigger truck for towing my trailer. I am certainly going to miss the L92.

Quick Reply: damn tundra spanked me!!