Racing and Kills Forum Be smart and safe!

Finally Raced a Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
Lightnings are slow as hell just like mustangs! Good kill. Gotta love beating up on fords!!!! Especialy ones that think they are fast.
I had a lightning that ran 13.4 tune only

Then with only a ported eaton and 6lb lower pulley added it ran 12.2

They are great trucks that are a lot of fun.

I like my truck now a lot too.

Just because its another brand doesn't make it bad.

Good kill OP
Old 10-28-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darknight-4
I had a lightning that ran 13.4 tune only

They are great trucks that are a lot of fun.

I like my truck now a lot too.

Just because its another brand doesn't make it bad.

Good kill OP
I ran a 13.4 tune/efans only

but as for 12.2 not quite there yet haha

Good kill on the lightening
Old 10-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Well look at it from a truck enthusiast side. L's are fast stock so if you beat one it makes you feel good. Same for viper trucks for the lightning crowd.

Now look at it from a chevy nut swinging side. All other brands suck.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NightmareTahoe
I ran a 13.4 tune/efans only

but as for 12.2 not quite there yet haha

Good kill on the lightening
Thats a good time for tune/efans

Wasn't trying to say 13.4 with tune only made the lightning awesome or anything, just giving it as a reference for what they can do with very little.

At the time they came out (1999) they were pretty much unmatched as far as trucks go mod for mod...now its easy to do the same as a tune only lightning with pretty much any truck. With upped boost and better blowers they are still doing pretty good though
Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 AM
Staging Lane

If L owners would worry about their 60' before power, their e/t's would be more impressive.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the time they came out (1999) they were pretty much unmatched as far as trucks go mod for mod...
That is if there wasnt any GMC Syclones around...stock for stock or mod for mod the L's could not hang in a drag race...I have seen it many times...I still respect Svt's though...the awd/turbo was alot to get by...just sayin
Old 10-29-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
That is if there wasnt any GMC Syclones around...stock for stock or mod for mod the L's could not hang in a drag race...I have seen it many times...I still respect Svt's though...the awd/turbo was alot to get by...just sayin
Old 10-29-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

I can kill a lightning through the 1/8th but the modded ones start pulling on me pretty hard up top. good kill btw. I wonder what the record is for lightnings against gmc/chevy trucks since the lightnings came out? I bet 80% of the time the GM truck comes out on top.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

It's actually about 99% according to the survey i made up. But i did use real proof. Since i've owned my Lightning, i was told many times chevys > ford. You cant argue with the majority.

You had stock F1 good year crap tires and/or traction bars, intake, exhaust?

And as you know, people that have 6lbers range from mid 13's to low 12's. Lots of factors.

Last edited by GodBuiltMy5oh; 10-30-2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
Forgot about those. Yeah, they are quite the vehicle, but I would say with equivalent mods they would still be even. Just depends on who is driving and what mods. AWD would obviously give the advantage from a dig, but depending on the tires on the lightning it would not always be a huge advantage. And lightning have very good top end for trucks.

Originally Posted by KDavis04ss
I wonder what the record is for lightnings against gmc/chevy trucks since the lightnings came out? I bet 80% of the time the GM truck comes out on top.
How would you even guess a number like that?

The lightning is a superior vehicle from the factory in speed period, with the exception of maybe the 6.2l from gm. And mod for mod, the lightning is faster with a competent driver. But having said that, gm has a huge advantage in that there vehicles can be had for much cheaper, and with that you can spend the extra money on mods.

So starting with a faster truck, and for every mod it being faster, I would say your guess is exactly the opposite of the real world.

Just because there are tons of fast gms on this board, does not mean that every gm a lightning on the street comes across is that fast.

Its like saying v6 camaros beat camaro SS's 80% of the time. It just doesn't happen because the SS starts out faster. Can a modded v6 beat an SS? Yes...but its not gonna happen 80% of the time on the street.

Originally Posted by GodBuiltMy5oh
You had stock F1 good year crap tires and/or traction bars, intake, exhaust?

And as you know, people that have 6lbers range from mid 13's to low 12's. Lots of factors.
I had Nitto 555s. Not the drag radials, just the regular street tires and JLP traction bars. No exhaust work

Last edited by Darknight-4; 10-31-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally Raced a Lightning