SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Silverado TBI w/ 700r4 to 5.3 FI + 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

made my maiden voyage just a while ago and sob... im reversing and its reving up and barly rolling and im like wtf... so i finish backing up and go foward and the whole time it doesnt kick/rock the truck shifting from P R or N D... and i stop and my brain finally sends signals to my body and tells it to check the trans fluid. ive checked it before with the engine running and i guess with the trans in gear it needed more.. so i was 4 qts low. hopefully that didnt FUBAR my trans clutches. i filled it up and drove it, and it kicked/rocked the truck like i was expecting and drove fine. i do need to do some more little things, but i did drive it today.

huh, seems that a standard brake line just doesnt cut it (for the trans lines to radiator.. ghey. i dont know why they leak but they leak from the center... il solve that problem with some an fittings to rubber line.
other than that, i need to whip up some exhuast before i can really beat on it... i got on it after i put some fluid in there, but its too loud for the subdivision to handle...
clint
Old 11-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks great, glad to see it up and running. This may be the quickest i've seen to date, congrats
Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

That is awesome! I've been thinking about the same conversion for my '82. I may have to get in touch with you when that comes about.

Sweet, sweet project though.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SquareOne
That is awesome! I've been thinking about the same conversion for my '82. I may have to get in touch with you when that comes about.

Sweet, sweet project though.
not a problem, its kinda strait foward actually, but when ever you start give me a shout.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Launching!

i ordered a few more things to wrap this project up. i got a transgo shift kit for the 4l60e, a 3" u bend, and 4ft of 3" pipe. i will be making a ORY pipe simular to factory going into one of two mufflers that i have. either a bullit (which probally wont sound great) and 2nd candidate is a flowmaster 1 chamber muffler. both mufflers are 2.5"... its just whats on my cars right now.. want to see what sounds better before i invest more money.. ive heard a clip on the net with LT headers, ORY, and a 1chamber muffler and it might be up my alley.. maybe.. we will see this weekend. with this daylight savings crap its cutting my time to work on the truck shorter. oh well, just little things to do now.
till then,
clint
Old 11-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Launching!

update:
ive made a baller y pipe, installed the 16mm 0-ring fuel line fitting and re-did the front portion of the trans lines.i went with summit 90* autofit (barb like) fittings instead of the hand bent brake lines,which was temp anywy.
i still dont have a muffler or headlights, but i got the remote start alarm and radio installed over the weekend. also mounted the 3 3/4 autometer tach on the dash. i really didnt want to put it on the dash for a few reasons.. i feel that it gives ***** bags a reason to steal something, a reason to break into my truck, try and steal my truck, or just be ricer. in my last truck i had a smaller one and mounted it under the dashpad in between the speedoand fuel gauge. that worked out perfectly. this one however is just a bit to big to fit there and look good.
im going to clean up the truck this week and take some shots of it and post up.
clint
Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Launching!

update:
ive installed the alarm, radio, tach, tuned the pcm to the correct gears i have and melted the first tire killed a hard compund slick this past weekend, man do those things create some smoke!
anyway, i also finished the headlights, finished the upper radiator mounts and made a backet to support the upper radiator hose. of course i will never be done with this truck even when i sell it, but i see a posi unit being installed in the near future along with a few other creature conforts.
when i do the a/c i will post up the cost and pictures of that, along with the 91 silverado style bench seat with arm rest.
till then,
clint
Old 11-23-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

any new progress?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Launching!

not really, its only lacking the high beam lights (which are drying and should be ready to install sunday), 4x10 speaker spacers that i will be finishing tomarrow. i bought a set of audiobahn 4x10's to replace the stockers and naturally they are too deep. easy fix is to make a spacer.
ive installed new rubbers on the rear, and ordered a set of 1.5" wheel spacer/adapters for the rear. this should get the stance even.. if not SOB!
overall im thrilled about the dirveability of this older truck!

do have a question for the 73-87 truck owners though... do you guys have any kind of mod for the blower motor... man this thing doesnt move air for anything. im sure the motor is fine, i mean it works, no wierd noises just doesnt blow hard.
clint

Quick Reply: 1987 Silverado TBI w/ 700r4 to 5.3 FI + 4L60E