SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 Day Detail: Restoring a very hammered F350

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for the tires and undercarriage... a heavy dose of Super VRT on a pro tire app handled the rubber, invisible undercarriage spray turned the chalky fenders dark black

Time to unveil a little something I've been working on... but first the paint needed to be BARE. I wanted no residual polishing oils or anything on the surface so I wiped the paint down with isopropyl alcohol and a single soft towel.

You know that spray sealant I've been hinting at?? Well here it is... code-name Adam's Speed Sealant. We're still in testing phases, but its getting closer to being a finished product.

The product is unique in that its a high tech micro polymer that begins to form a very hard bond as soon as it hits the paint, for proper atomization it needs to be in a compressed aerosol can and will be the first product of its kind.

Its simply sprayed onto ANY surface (paint, glass, chrome, plastic trim, etc)

Then spread with a foam applicator, I prefer the Americana apps

Its an optically clear sealant, so it can be applied across decal edges without any buildup

After removing the residue with a double soft microfiber towel the sealant reveals a super reflective, bright shine. I moved the truck partially out into the light to inspect the results

The bumpers were also treated with the prototype sealant

Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 PM
FormerVendor

The entire truck was treated to a coating of the new sealant, including the glass. At which point I looked up to see the thermometer topping 103*.

Took a break and waited for the temps to get back into the low 90's... when they did I returned to the garage for a final coat of Americana Paste Wax double soft, snapped a couple of quick pics and tucked it in for the night before watching my Halos beat the Dodgers again.

Plan is to wake up tomorrow, pull it out, give it a final inspection, get some good full sun pics and hopefully by then the owner should be here to see it. I'm excited to see what he thinks

Some badass dropped Avalanche kept showing up in the reflections

I'll post the final shots tomorrow when I have a chance to upload them. Hope everyone has a good 4th of July! Thanks for looking.

DAY 5 - THE CONCLUSION:

Backed the beast out of the garage (no small task with the angle my garage sits) and gave it a visual inspection. Some spots were wiped down with Detail Spray and yet another clean Double Soft towel.

The windows were touched up with Glass Cleaner and Glass Towel to get some streaks that hadn't been visible in the garage.

A couple areas around the front tow hooks were hit again with In & Out Spray that I had missed earlier.

I even went so far as to polish the antenna that had been removed so I could clear the garage door before I put it back on.

Drove it down the street to a local park where I usually take my after shots. The lighting is good and theres room to get around the truck at various angles. Even at 9am the light was already harsh.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Catching a reflection of the tree, the street light, part of the mirror and even the interior off the hood. Not too bad!!

Engine bay still looking pretty

Remember those dry, chalky, faded cowl pieces and mirrors?

The wheels, cleaned, polished, and sealed

The glass, now spot and streak free, with a coat of sealant

Trying to capture the lack of swirls proved a little difficult given the harshness of the light and the amount of metallic flake in the paint. A couple of these shots I tweaked the exposure slightly to show the condition of the paint - no swirls!

Sitting back at the house now, waiting for my cousin to come pick it up. Thanks for reading this marathon of a detail thread. Hope it was entertaining and educational... Now I'm gonna enjoy my last day of the 3 day weekend.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice... how much do you charge to do something like that....
Old 07-05-2011, 02:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by low5.3
nice... how much do you charge to do something like that....
If I were actually charging him... probably around $750 for the exterior work. This truck was farther gone than anything I'd normally take on, but since it was a gift for my cousin its different, the fact it was over 100* this weekend didn't help things.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of these days I need to buy a big package from yall. My wifes black civic needs a lot of attention and my 10 year old truck has lived its life outside, offroad, and never been waxed so its bad
Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

WoW, amazing work as usual Dylan... i can only imagine how much more difficult it was to do ALL that work in the heat this past weekend, i'm gonna have to save up a couple dollars for one of ur details...

-Rob

Last edited by blkssncpt; 07-05-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome job!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:15 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow man, you never cease to amaze me with the way that you bring these vehicles back to life...this was definitely the biggest challenge that I've seen you post up for sure Looks like a completely different truck! You are a master, and the products that you use are definitely top notch!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Great work Adam. You love what you do and it shows.
(Anytime you're in MA, or coming to MA, let me know. I'd love to have my truck done by your expertise skills.)

Quick Reply: 5 Day Detail: Restoring a very hammered F350