Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9 years old...time for paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts
Default 9 years old...time for paint ***UPDATED***

I was blowing some crap off the cab of my truck and blew a strip of paint off right down to bare metal.

So my question is, has anyone used Maaco and what was your experience?

Updated: See last page/post

Last edited by madmann26; 12-16-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Less than stellar results in my area.

It's like 1 Day Paint & Body, Earl Shibe, or any other quicky in and out paint place.

It's a franchise deal so some area's are better than others.

I would suggest looking at the cars they have painted in the parking lot waiting to be picked up.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 563 Likes on 485 Posts

I've seen a few things of their work.

The key is the prep work, if you do all the prep and just roll it down there for them to paint, it can turn out okay. Hopefully the person on the gun is decent at his work though, otherwise it won't be very nice.

Otherwise take it to a big name store or find some other shop that you can trust their work.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Most of those places have different levels..... The cheaper it is the worse it is, friend used to work at a maaco and the cheap paint job is literally a scuff and shoot....
Old 11-12-2015, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I need bodywork and paint on my truck but a legitimate job costs more than what my truck is worth.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I need bodywork and paint on my truck but a legitimate job costs more than what my truck is worth.
Ive got alot less than $1000 in mine and thats including the paint for having to reshoot it, and all my emblems!!!! I did most of the body work which was mostly just pushing dents back out, didnt need a whole lot of filling just massaging the panels.... And a friend of mine is going to shoot it for me again once we have a chance to get it sanded etc.... If you do all the body work and have it ready to shoot, if you arent comfortable, macco or somewhere would be alright so long as you tell them just a shoot and clear, if you dont mind doing the final color sand on it....
Old 11-21-2015, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Ive got alot less than $1000 in mine and thats including the paint for having to reshoot it, and all my emblems!!!! I did most of the body work which was mostly just pushing dents back out, didnt need a whole lot of filling just massaging the panels.... And a friend of mine is going to shoot it for me again once we have a chance to get it sanded etc.... If you do all the body work and have it ready to shoot, if you arent comfortable, macco or somewhere would be alright so long as you tell them just a shoot and clear, if you dont mind doing the final color sand on it....
I think I'll be doing most of the prep work. I think I can look at enough YouTube videos and figure it out.

Then I'll have it painted. I've already started stripping pinstripe off of it.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by madmann26
I think I'll be doing most of the prep work. I think I can look at enough YouTube videos and figure it out.

Then I'll have it painted. I've already started stripping pinstripe off of it.
There is actually a whole serious of vids on youtube a guy did that are very informative..... Cant remember what they were called or who did them but they arent hard to find..... Think i searched for something like body panel repair or something and they came up.... I also have found a really inexpensive source for paint kits that include paint clear and all the additives..... Quart kits are about $100 gallon kits are wanna say &199 and that was for the pearl paint i have. the standard basic colors are less expensive, and they have about any color you could want!!!!
Old 11-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP,where are you located? I am a production manager for a newer Maaco location in Land O Lakes Florida. We take great pride in what we do and produce a very nice finished product. We don't do the traditional scuff and shoot unless the customer is only wanting a cheap refinish. We don't produce the quantity other Maaco shops do but our finished product is second to none.the key is in the prep just as another poster states. there are a lot of refinishing shops that also produce junk and ask to see some of their work before locking into an estimate. If you are in the tampa area I'd love for you to come by or feel free to ask me any questions on here , I will help you with whatever you might need.You can look up Maaco in Land O Lakes,FL if you want to check out some of our work. I have an '04 RCSB in Arrival Blue that the roof and hood are starting to show signs of sunburned clear which I will be refinishing the entire truck early next year. I will post pics of the process.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

I guess it's getting painted now.

This is how I ended my work week.

Quick Reply: 9 years old...time for paint