Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy wheels/tires for 06 CCSB...Have tire ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy wheels/tires for 06 CCSB...Have tire ?s

Hey guys, I just picked up a mint 06 Silverado crew cab and I want to put some wheels/tires on it. I am pretty much decided on the Boss 330s in black(Truck is Greystone metallic), but I am grueling over the tire size. I will not be lowering the truck any as it is gonna be my tow vehicle for my vette/bikes/jet skis etc.. So I naturally was going to go with 275/55s since they come on some Silverados stock, I assumed they would fit and work fine but after reading here, I found out they can rub. So option two would be 285/50 but I read those can rub also. I don't want to be dealing with rubbing issues as I will be reversing/turning often trying to park my trailers.

What looks and fits best on stock height 2wd trucks? I am thinking the 275/55s would be better for towing and general truck work but.... Right now it has brand new Michelin 265/70/17 LTXs that seem pretty tall to me but they look good....but I think the 275/55s may be even taller...

Any advice/tips and especially pics would be greatly appreciated...I would like to order my wheels/tires this week... Vendor recommendations would also help...right now I am wheeling/dealing with Discount tire for about $1300 drive in/out so....not too bad..

Last edited by ajrothm; 03-28-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I pulled the trigger yesterday on wheels/tires. I ended up getting them through Discount Tire. I haggled with em for a while and ended getting out for $1185 drive out.

I ordered the 20x8.5 Boss 330s in black and some 275/55/20 Falkens. Should have em in 3-4 days and I'll post up some pics. I hated to spend the money in these trying times but.....I just can't roll on stockers....
Old 03-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

thats a good deal ima think i paid around 1500 for my old 20s with tires
Old 04-01-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, got the wheels on.....

Truck drives great BUT it has now developed a brake wobble when applying the brakes. Truck is smooth as glass but as soon as the brakes are applied, the whole truck shudders as if the rotors are warped.....It does not do this with the stock wheels and 265/70 Michelins and the truck only has 45k miles.

Anyone ever develop a brake shudder problem after switching to 20s? I assume its from the added weight of the wheel/tire or something. I did pull the front 2 off and check to see if there were rotor retainer clips on the wheel studs and there are none so that is not it....

Any ideas? Thanks for any help guys...I need to get this thing working. I could turn the rotors I guess but....it brakes fine with the stock wheels so.....
Old 04-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Check the backs. There should be a small clip that it put in place at the factory to hold the drum together, it is no longer needed.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:02 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I know exactly what your problem is!! There are little clips between your stock wheels and the rotors. They are there just to keep the rotor from falling off when the wheel isn't on. Most likely your 20's have a flat surface right around the lug holes (unlike the stock wheels) and are now sitting on the clips causing the vibration. Take those off and it will fix your problem! My friend had the same problem and he took them little clips off and it quit. Hope this helps
Old 04-01-2010, 07:02 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BOSS302
Check the backs. There should be a small clip that it put in place at the factory to hold the drum together, it is no longer needed.
lol u beat me to it
Old 04-01-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOSS302
You guys were dead on!

After posting the pics, I went out and pulled the rear tires, there were 2 clips on each drum. I popped them off and it stops fine now...it's crazy that the REARS would cause a vibration like that but.....the truck seems fine now. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the replys guys!

Truck drives great with the new cheapy Falkens...
Old 04-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

does your vette have a L88 427 in it?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ajrothm
You guys were dead on!

After posting the pics, I went out and pulled the rear tires, there were 2 clips on each drum. I popped them off and it stops fine now...it's crazy that the REARS would cause a vibration like that but.....the truck seems fine now. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the replys guys!

Truck drives great with the new cheapy Falkens...
You might check the fronts too. My friends truck was shaking cuz of the fronts. They have clips there as well.

Quick Reply: About to buy wheels/tires for 06 CCSB...Have tire ?s