Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Ride Guys Please Come In

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Ride Guys Please Come In

Talked with Air Ride Technologies today about bagging my truck. The guy I talked with didn't seem like he cared about helping me at all. I'm not looking to lay frame, I just want a good drop that is gonna ride well. The idea of being able to adjust the height and ride is really whats drawing me to the air ride setup. Unfortunately, I was told that the 4 link setup for my 2001 GMC RCSB stepside, comes with and requires the installation of a cnotch . One, I don't know if this will cause me to have to hack my bed up, and for another thing I wasn't wanting to do any kinds of modifications to the frame as drastic as adding the C notch. Can anybody help me out on this dilema? If I can still run the 4 link without the c notch and not sacrifice ride quality than I'll be very happy. But if that's the only way the kit will work, than I guess I'll be looking elsewhere. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know I have seen a guy with a White EC who's layin frame and he says he neer cut into his bed and everyone I have ever talked to about it says it has to be done... but I'm not sure if he has a 4 link or not....
Old 08-03-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

You do not have to cut the bed to lay frame (depending on your tires of course) You can do a super C notch. (this does cut completely through the frame, but is very strong, even enough to tow a reasonable amount). A friend of mine (a VERY good bag installer did it on his 99 RCSB and it worked great, he could lay frame, and ride AWESOME and handle well. you can do it.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said, I don't care about laying frame. I just want a good ride and handling. I know the four bar will also give me better traction once I throw a bigger motor with more power at it later. The other thing the guy at Air Ride Technologies told me was that you can't do more than a 4 inch drop of any kind on the back without having to notch the frame. He told me that with the notch that comes with the kit, it'll still be strong which is good cause I don't plan to do much towing but if I do I want to know that I'm still able to.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

yeah I am pretty sure anything over 4" in the rear a notch is needed. every 4-6", I have seen has a c notch.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The notch is what some of the hardware for the 4-link mounts to, at least it did in the older kit like I have. And you dont cut into the bed floor with their kit, only small sections of the bed floor supports.

Also, i know you dont want to lay frame, but if anyone tells you that you can lay frame on stock tires without cutting the bed floor, they are lying to you.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I WOULD THINK THAT IF ITS GOING TO BE BAGGED THAT YOU PROLLY WILL HAVE TO CUT A SMALL SECTION OF THE BED FOR THE REAR TO CLEAR IMO.ON MY 90 SILVY I HAD A FLIP KIT AND IT WAS FINE UNTIL YOU HIT A BUMP OR MASHED THE GAS FROM A STOP.THEN YOU COULD HEAR THE REAR HIT THE FOUR LINK YOU WON'T NEED IF YOUR NOT LAYING THE FRAME.MY DAD DOES HAS DONE PLENTY OF BAG JOBS AND USED THE STOCK LEAFS,THE TRUKS STILL SAT PRITTY DAM LOW. GOOD LUCK
Old 08-04-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah If you go lower than a 4" you need a C-notch.

Air Ride's kit is pretty well designed, Nothing is visible through the bed, the C-notch doesnt cut through the bed, you only cut the supports under the bed in a few spots. The c-notch is very beefy, and there is no strength lost in the frame or the bed. Ive thrown engines, and quads, and jetskis in the back of my truck and never had a problem with my bed, and Ive pulled 27' boats with it as well and no problems. I wouldnt be afraid of using the c-notch. My truck actually does lay frame with the stock kit from air ride. I didnt buy it expecting it too, it was just kind of a nice bonus
Old 08-04-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The kit will lay frame, just not with stock height tires. The fronts tires will lay on the fender wells and the rear end will hit the bed before you lay frame.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much HP can thier 4-Link take?
Some 4-Links can only handle like 400HP.
I have been wondering how they handle and ride too, but with all of this input I think the answer is GOOD!!

I'll have to consider this now,
DAMMIT, another thing to put me further in Debt......

Quick Reply: Air Ride Guys Please Come In