SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All opinions needed! Mirror cap and door handle question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine are at the shop now getting colormatched ill have them back by next Wednesday probably.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by camochevy21
What kind of paint/primer did you use? Did you take the caps off or leave them on the mirrors?
I got a set off of ebay with the puddle lamps and the smooth covers. They came with the covers detached so I sanded down the mirrors as smooth as possible and then primered them with a couple of cans of sandable auto spray can primer I got from Meijer. Some of my friends have used it with good results. I then used Duplicolor spray can for the white. I was looking for Krylon Fusion clear because everyone recomended it as some of the best, but you cannot find any here in town so I went to the automotive paint supply and picked up a couple of cans of clear from them. Everything came out pretty good. Tho my arm still hurts from sanding down those mirrors.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by seltaeb
I got a set off of ebay with the puddle lamps and the smooth covers. They came with the covers detached so I sanded down the mirrors as smooth as possible and then primered them with a couple of cans of sandable auto spray can primer I got from Meijer. Some of my friends have used it with good results. I then used Duplicolor spray can for the white. I was looking for Krylon Fusion clear because everyone recomended it as some of the best, but you cannot find any here in town so I went to the automotive paint supply and picked up a couple of cans of clear from them. Everything came out pretty good. Tho my arm still hurts from sanding down those mirrors.
true true. I might try it but I have been told that if you try to take off the mirror caps there is a 50 50 chance that you will break those tabs. I may leave them on for the time being and just wait until I get bored one day to try and take them off to paint. They don't look bad but there are just so many trucks on here that look so much better than mine and I was wanting to paint a couple of things. Thanks everyone for the input. I really appreciate it!
Old 09-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Even if the tabs break the caps are held on by double sided tape. The tabs are really flimsy. Heres a link that shows where the tabs are. http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36860
Old 09-28-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Even if the tabs break the caps are held on by double sided tape. The tabs are really flimsy. Heres a link that shows where the tabs are. http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36860
Thanks for the link. If I get bored I might have to give that a shot.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:25 AM
8MC
TECH Apprentice

Old 10-07-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

8MC . . . You're truck looks damn good! Wow
Old 10-07-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my painted handles off of ebay and they held up good so far. Here is a pic what they look like.

I am in the process of painting a set of mirrors all white at the moment.
Ha, my twin!!! What color white is the top of your truck? Did you just pick a set off ebay that was white?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Summit white is the color, 50U in the glove box. I found a set of summit white handles on ebay and they match up perfect. Well almost perfect for 9 year old paint anyway.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Summit white is the color, 50U in the glove box. I found a set of summit white handles on ebay and they match up perfect. Well almost perfect for 9 year old paint anyway.
Cool, thank you.

Quick Reply: All opinions needed! Mirror cap and door handle question.