SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any pics of candied stepside tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any pics of candied stepside tail lights?

I am wanting to candy the tail lights on my '01 white silverados' tail lights. Does anyone have any pics of candied tails? I did a search but couldnt find any. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I candied my old euro taillights and they turned out pretty good but I still want to buy some extra OEM taillights and see what they look like candied. Pictures are below, Let me know if you have any other questions.

Name:  P1010004-2.jpg
Views: 3344
Size:  56.8 KB
Name:  P1010016-1.jpg
Views: 6739
Size:  66.7 KB

Last edited by Bradazz; 06-05-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 AM
apple bottom jeans

Bradazz - how did you do it? Thinned out red paint? What is your rollpan made out of? Do you have any problems with flexing and cracking?(seeing as its molded)
Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by larsy87
Bradazz - how did you do it? Thinned out red paint? What is your rollpan made out of? Do you have any problems with flexing and cracking?(seeing as its molded)
I used the instructions that I found on a website that I have saved on my home computer, I will get you that information when I get home. It is pretty involved but if you follow the steps and take your time the finished product turns out great. The paint that you will be using is Testors Candy Apple Red (Transparent) and can be picked up at a hobby store or online. The Rollpan is made out of steel and I had it molded in but I would not do it again if I had the choice. It is not bad but in certain lights you can see a line where the seam is at but I could never capture it in a picture because every picture that I have looks absolutely seamless. It bugs me but I cant think of a way to fix it. Hopefully this helps you out.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:38 AM
apple bottom jeans

Thanks for the info. I have an urethane rollpan and was trying to figure out if I should get it molded, but more and more people are telling me not to. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the look of it without the molding done. Gives it a more custom look. When its molded it makes our trucks looks like they have a fatass or something. Hey bradazz, would you consider selling the tails you have for some cash plus some OEM tails?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

i have mine molded it turned out great i cant see any lines or anything it looks like a piece of glass going across it smooth as can be and looks perfect i like it
Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 PM
apple bottom jeans

Picked up the paint today. Probably going to get a 3rd brake light first and try it out on that, then move to the tails.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Midnight
I like the look of it without the molding done. Gives it a more custom look. When its molded it makes our trucks looks like they have a fatass or something. Hey bradazz, would you consider selling the tails you have for some cash plus some OEM tails?

I dont want to sell my taillights yet, I want to see what the OEM taillights will look like candied first before I make a decision. The only problem with my current taillights are that they are not legal due to the fact that there is not a white area for the reverse lights so I would feel bad if you got pulled over for that. The instructions that I followed are in the link that I provided below.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/show...=candied+tails
Old 01-03-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xpensive_habbits02
i have mine molded it turned out great i cant see any lines or anything it looks like a piece of glass going across it smooth as can be and looks perfect i like it

Do you have a Fleetside or Sportside? If it is a Sportside I would like to know how it was done. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Any pics of candied stepside tail lights?