SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever installed a clear bra on a car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 AM
apple bottom jeans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it on the front of my hood. It was a PITA to put on. Cleaned the hood like 3 times, wiped it down, soapy water the whole deal.

It came out good...because I'm the man...but there was a lot of prep work. It's certainly not as difficult as you think.

Mine has been on about a year now and the first big rock that hit it tore it right away. It protects against smaller stuff but anything a semi would throw up for a direct hit will gouge it out.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Launching!

damn i need to get one for my truck i had never heard of it do they make it for stock bumpers too ???
Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Launching!

do you guys know if places like orileys and autozone sell the stuff ?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:47 PM

ok here is my experience. i also have a *ahem* 2001 ford powerstroke(sorry), that i have the clear bra brand on. i had to replace the hood once under insurance and they stuck the 3m stuff that you have on it. comparison between the two---do yourself a favor and sell the 3m kit and go with genuine clear bra. i know its more money but you get what you pay for right? the 3m is a good name but not for this stuff. it will yellow quickly and start to peel. imo not worth the money and effort required. so needless to say i had the 3m taken off and made the body shop/insurance pay for the stuff that was on there to begin with. also if you go have it done you can say exactly how far up the hood, fenders, bumper cover ect.. you want it done. the installer will wrap the covering around the corners of everything about 1/2-3/4 inch to make sure it wont peel up on you. the computer cut kits that i've seen dont have that. and while your there get your headlights done as well. i was told that if you do that and a rock or something similar breaks your headlight, clear bra will buy a replacement free of charge!(but don't quote me) i will be having my o4 silverado done in clear bra soon. hope this helps!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, i did it on my Silverado about 4 years ago and it's holding up great. Watch the video instructuions and you pretty much have all the info you need. Just soap it up good (with the solution they provide) and use the squeegie they supply to pull the water from underneath the clear piece and have it adhere. I would suggest wrapping that squeegie in a cotton t-shirt so you don't put any little scratches in it as you pull the water out from underneath(although after 4 years it won't matter). really not that bad.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Import Moderator

Originally Posted by nightrunner
a clear bra is the best kind
Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by black6.0
ok here is my experience. i also have a *ahem* 2001 ford powerstroke(sorry), that i have the clear bra brand on. i had to replace the hood once under insurance and they stuck the 3m stuff that you have on it. comparison between the two---do yourself a favor and sell the 3m kit and go with genuine clear bra. i know its more money but you get what you pay for right? the 3m is a good name but not for this stuff. it will yellow quickly and start to peel. imo not worth the money and effort required. so needless to say i had the 3m taken off and made the body shop/insurance pay for the stuff that was on there to begin with. also if you go have it done you can say exactly how far up the hood, fenders, bumper cover ect.. you want it done. the installer will wrap the covering around the corners of everything about 1/2-3/4 inch to make sure it wont peel up on you. the computer cut kits that i've seen dont have that. and while your there get your headlights done as well. i was told that if you do that and a rock or something similar breaks your headlight, clear bra will buy a replacement free of charge!(but don't quote me) i will be having my o4 silverado done in clear bra soon. hope this helps!
I don't see a "Clear Bra" brand. I see 3M, Xpel, Auto Clear Armour, and Sticker City. Any of these sound familiar?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the 3M invisca shield and it's held up great. tell me if you can tell it's there. Can get a closeup if you want.

http://home.nycap.rr.com/agreif/Truck/grille.jpg
http://home.nycap.rr.com/agreif/Truck/grille1.jpg
http://home.nycap.rr.com/agreif/Truck/truck01ss.jpg
Old 09-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Launching!

out here in cali there is a place called Sticker City that does this kind of stuff i went there with my friend when he got one put on his lexus http://www.stickercity.com/store/home.php
Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

kinda off topic but!!! do they make this kind of stuff for the underside of the cab./bed ?? i want something like this to prevents/slow down all the rocks chipping the paint away on the bottom of the cab/bed.

i know my dads company work truck 97 f250 had soemthing like this right on the cab corners and the corner at the very start of the bed!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever installed a clear bra on a car?