SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to remove tree sap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another vote for gas, we do it on the trucks at work and hasnt screwed any thing up yet.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by krambo
I have used WD-40 and also have heard of a secret on using RainX. never tried the RainX but its worth a shot.

Just remember to rewax after all is said and done!
Yep, works really well.

Here is my account of its use:

My neighbor has a cottonwood tree that dropped some of its seed pods or whatever they are called, onto the hood and top of my SS. They oozed sap out of them all over the paint. I did not drive the SS for over 2 weeks and didn't see the sap on it and it sat in the hot sun and baked it on.

I tried everything I could think of to get it off; bug & tar remover, mineral spirits, clay bar, and even gasoline! I was scheduled to take it in to the body shop today to have them either remove it or repaint the hood.

Last night I was reading: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks newsgroup and another person asked about pine pitch removal. One guy chimed in and said that he has a tree trimming business and gets tree sap on his vehicles all the time and found the only thing that works well at removing it is RAIN X, yep, plain ole Rain X window treatment.

I was really skeptical, but desperate, so I poured some on a soft cloth and wiped it on the sap and with a little light rubbing it came right off! I could not believe it! Weekend before last I spent over 3 hours trying to get that crap off.

As soon as I got the hood cleaned I washed it twice to try and get all of the Rain X off and then waxed the hood. Hopefully the Rain X won't have any long term effects on the paint, but I had already come to the conclusion that I might have to pay to have the hood repainted anyway, so we'll see.

I cleaned it off on May 16, 2005 and my paint shows no ill effects of using it as of today.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

turtle wax tree sap and tar remover it works great it dont take wax off the truck it actually gives it a little shine after your done it worked great on my truck.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:16 AM
Teching In

carb cleaner

2 months later