Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 68 swb...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 68 swb...

The new project!! Going to leave the black truck alone, and just mess with this thing. Might be selling the black truck and getting an extended cab just to drive around. My dream has been to own one of these and a 67-69 Camaro. Well, I'm half way there!

Has a 396 BB, with 12 bolt rear. Only rust I have found so far is the rockers....easy fix. Will find out exactly what I have after I get everything sandblasted. Everything works on it too. Headlights, turn signals, speedo, oil pressure guage, gas guage, etc.

Plans are to build an aluminum headed 454 bored and stroked. Slam it, put some 20's on it, and paint it HOK Tangelo Pearl. Going to be a VERY FUN project for me! Was going to do a LS swap, but my engine guy said F*CK NO, and said he'd make a big block out run it all day long for cheaper! So guess I'll be keeping the big block! Never had one, so I'm kinda excited to see what a healthy BB feels like.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

nice truck, has it been restored? i have a bunch of BBC stuff still at the machine shop, if you are interested PM me
Old 05-05-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, too bad you're going to butcher the hell out of it. The truck is very restorable and would be more enjoyable to look at in its original form. First thing I think of when seeing one of those 67-72 SWB trucks with 20's and lowered is some young punk kid bastardized another nice old truck. At any rate think about what you're doing before you do it. If you saw a nice clean original I bet you'd change your mind. Please don't take my post in a negative manner. It just seems silly to deface a survivor and cut it all up. To each their own I guess....
Old 05-05-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice freakin truck man congrats i say put some 20" billet wheels and lower it a tad bit and it will look bitchin!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Wow, too bad you're going to butcher the hell out of it. The truck is very restorable and would be more enjoyable to look at in its original form. First thing I think of when seeing one of those 67-72 SWB trucks with 20's and lowered is some young punk kid bastardized another nice old truck. At any rate think about what you're doing before you do it. If you saw a nice clean original I bet you'd change your mind. Please don't take my post in a negative manner. It just seems silly to deface a survivor and cut it all up. To each their own I guess....
Yes, stock is enjoyable for simple minds. I've seen many clean originals, they didn't do anything for me. It's minds that like to think outside the box that has paved the way for guys like Chip Foose, Boyd Coddington, etc, etc, etc. While some people are content with factory, I for one am not, nor will ever be. If so I would have made my SN SimpleMindedAustin. Nothing is getting hacked, cut, nor defaced on this truck, merely upgraded.

Thanks,
Austin
aka Punk Kid
Old 05-05-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 454navyss
nice truck, has it been restored? i have a bunch of BBC stuff still at the machine shop, if you are interested PM me
I believe there was an attempt, but they were a little shy of restoring it to my standards. Have all the BBC stuff I can get my hands on at my buddy's shop, thanks for the offer though.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the comments guys! Will look like a new truck when I am finished. No rust, straight panels, underside will be coated, frame will be painted, etc. A clean classic, with a touch of "new"
Old 05-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im jealous
Old 05-05-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn you! im jealous.... ive had my eye out for one of those for a while now
Old 05-05-2010, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Thats a pretty clean truck. What did you have to give for it?

Quick Reply: Bought a 68 swb...