Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bowtie .

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02gmcbandit
clean all the old paint off , clean bowtie with dawn and water, sand with 320 grit, do 3 medium coats primer,sand with 400 lightly leveling the primer out smooth, then wipe with tack cloth, 1 light coat then 2 more medium coats of the paint, use a good clear, 3 medium coats, wet sand with 1500 and buff to nice glossy shine
A pre-paint cleaner would help rid of any possible wax or other foreign stuff along those lines. I like bandit's approach. Not heavy coats like mentioned a few posts back. It'll also take longer to dry w/. heavy coats.
Also, 400 Wet or Dry. I like wet myself.

Originally Posted by Blownme
I have been a automotive painter for going on 9 years and have done alot of custom paint. To answer your question any kind of fluorescent paint wether it be krylon or automotive paint will fade easilly when left out in the sun for any amount of time. I have seen top auto custom paints such as HOK do this.

You would think a top quality clearcoat would give the paint all the UV protection it needs, but when it comes to fluorescent colors it just does'nt matter. It has to do with the paint pigments and thats why alot of custom painters will shy away from using florescent colors. Hope this helps.
True. I was almost on deck to buy some lumenescent paint & learned about that fluoro. / pigment stuff fading. For what it costs, u would hope it wouldn't. I then thought a fine accent line only, but scratched the thought.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I would never paint my whole truck pink & thanks for the flor. Info it helps a lot !
Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True. I was almost on deck to buy some lumenescent paint & learned about that fluoro. / pigment stuff fading. For what it costs, u would hope it wouldn't. I then thought a fine accent line only, but scratched the thought.
Yeah, I've seen flourescent stripes and graphics which had been traditionally pinstriped around. A few months in the sun and the flourescent paint was completly faded away just leaving the pinstripe. It will look good for a bit but just won't last, talk about a waste of hard earned money and time. I would only recommend a flourescent for something like airbrushing a T-shirt or something your going to paint and hang on the wall and won't see much sun time.