Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI filter wrap test

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI filter wrap test

Well, I did the test. If you guys don't own one of these for your CAI's then you really need to get one. BECAUSE THEY REALLY WORK!! I did a test on the filter without the rap for 3 months. Here's what it looked like without, it really is much more dirty than the pic shows.

Then, I did the test for 4 months with the wrap on the filter. I have to admit that I was skeptical before using it, but I'm a firm believer that it really does work. It's also water proof, so when you have rainy days, it won't get water into the intake. The biggest thing, is that you will NOT lose power. Some pics after 4 months:

As you can see, its still very clean. Which will save on the recharging kit, save on cleaning every oil change, and in turn will not have as much oil into your intake from over oiling.
the cleaning of your intakes will vary from person to person, because of your driving locations. I live in Las Vegas, so theres alot of traffic, but if you live in a ruel area, then you won't need to clean as much anyway. I got mine at Stylin, but you can get them just about anywhere. Just thought I'd share it with you guys.
Here's a link:

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/part_f...categoryID/111
Old 12-28-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put one on mine. Like you im glad I did!!! Im running an AEM Dryflow though... No oiling.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Hmm, I thought I read on their website that for optimum performance the wrap should be taken off?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by trever1t
Hmm, I thought I read on their website that for optimum performance the wrap should be taken off?
How much could it possibly hamper the airflow?? Few measly CFM?? You have a blower anyway. Whats the prob??
Old 12-28-2006, 07:19 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

every little itty bitty teeny tiny bit counts
Old 12-28-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I doesn't effect the air flow at all. I haven't did a CFM test or anything, but it still feels the same. I can still the whistle pretty good.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Actually it does make quite a bit of difference, especially on a forced induction application. There is ALOT less square inches of filter media with the sock. Think about it, the filter has all those pleats going back and forth giving you alot more surface area, when the sock is basically flat. Someone over on Tech did a dyno comparison on a STS rig and there was almost a 20hp dif with and without it. STS only recommends running the sock when you have to to keep water from being ingested. For NA guys there probable isn't near the HP diff because you don't have near the air flow.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Actually it does make quite a bit of difference, especially on a forced induction application. There is ALOT less square inches of filter media with the sock. Think about it, the filter has all those pleats going back and forth giving you alot more surface area, when the sock is basically flat. Someone over on Tech did a dyno comparison on a STS rig and there was almost a 20hp dif with and without it. STS only recommends running the sock when you have to to keep water from being ingested. For NA guys there probable isn't near the HP diff because you don't have near the air flow.
Cool deal. But I didnt know it would hamper that much. If the filter is already fairly dam big, would the same apply?? On say like 9" filter?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could always use it in daily driving for protection then just pull it when you pop your headlight out when at the track.

Last edited by '89ChevyMadneSS; 12-28-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
Cool deal. But I didnt know it would hamper that much. If the filter is already fairly dam big, would the same apply?? On say like 9" filter?
The bigger the filter, the more surface area of filtering media, so you would increase the amount of CFM it will flow

Its mostly a concern for forced induction guys. At 7psi they are using roughly 1/3 MORE CFM than a NA guy with the same setup.
NA probable won't come close to maxing out what the filter is capable of flowing with the sock CFM wise. I would still pull it if your planing on beating on the truck .

Quick Reply: CAI filter wrap test