SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you use a claybar too often? Will it hurt the paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you use a claybar too often? Will it hurt the paint?

Hi guys,

I just wanted to know if it's possible to hurt or ruin your paint by clay baring your truck too often? I have an 04 black truck and find myself constantly having to claybar it to make the paint as smooth as glass. Call me obsessive, but I like my paint to feel soft and smooth like butter. I am hearing mixed things on claybaring paint, some say it's okay, others say it'll remove a layer each time you do so. With all the bird **** and sap in my neck of the woods, I have to claybar constantly. If I don't, when I go to dry my truck, all the rough impurities on my paint will rub in and cause swirls. And I don't like swirls

-Joe
Old 04-13-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe it will hurt it, but what are you using for wax afterwards??? If you are waxing after every claybar job, you shouldn't have to keep doing it.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jksz71
I don't believe it will hurt it, but what are you using for wax afterwards??? If you are waxing after every claybar job, you shouldn't have to keep doing it.

I am waxing after every claybar job, yes. I use a wax made by 3M that you can view here What's happening is I'll claybar my truck, wax. Then with springtime here the trees are dripping gooey sap that gets hard after sitting in the sun an hour or two. Then of course I can't get to it right away so it ends up sitting all day until night. Damn trees

Joe
Old 04-13-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I guess the only other thing is to maybe invest in a cover, but i know it's a bitch to put on and off everyday let alone keep clean. the only other thing i could think of is to use a bug and tar remover on the spots. I use Tarminator from Stoner products and it doesn't seem to remove my wax as quickly as some other products do.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:25 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

What's the best thing to use to strip off wax, etc. and start from fresh? Dish soap like Dawn or something?
I don't use claybar periodically as in every 6 months or what have you. Just anytime regular washes don't seem to make it shine like usual. Then I polish and wax it. Like jksz71 said, I think it would be a good idea to invest in a cover.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Chingon, go to a local paint store and have them sell you some paint prep solvent. We use Sikkens paint here at my shop and use M600 to prep a panel before painting. it removes wax, tar, etc.. also, www.griotsgarage.com has some prep stuff that they recommend using before applying their waxes. I believe it's about $9.00 for 16oz.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chingon
What's the best thing to use to strip off wax, etc. and start from fresh? Dish soap like Dawn or something?
I don't use claybar periodically as in every 6 months or what have you. Just anytime regular washes don't seem to make it shine like usual. Then I polish and wax it. Like jksz71 said, I think it would be a good idea to invest in a cover.
Dawn works fine. It has a high akaline content that removes the wax build up. It is not advised to wash with dawn very often.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chingon
My brother uses a wax shop cutter. it is the best in my opinion. It applies just like wax and if you do it once every six months and wax every two weeks it will keep it looking nice with no swirls.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Launching!

the paint prep solvent is the best way to remove all the wax and dirt build up as previously stated...the only way claying can hurt your paint is if you get dirt/debris into the bar itself...otherwise one MUST wax after claying for best paint protection.

Pat
Old 04-16-2005, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

Whoever told you clay takes a layer off each time you use it is a moron. Claybars remove surface contamination and are NON ABRASIVE so you could clay your truck everyday for the next 30 years and never see any problems (except really sore arms)

Quick Reply: Can you use a claybar too often? Will it hurt the paint?