SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Candied tails!! PICs inside.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Candied tails!! PICs inside.....

I have been wanting to do this for a while. Finally got around to it this past week. I pretty much followed the steps I found here. How to candy taillights- GMFullsize.com The only differences was I was working with my stock tails, I didnt candy the reverse light, and only used 800 and 1500 grit. That is what I had in the garage and I figured it would work out ok. If I did it again I would try to follow the steps in the link a little more closely. I would have picked up some 2000 grit and only done two coats of clear. I did 4 thinking it would be easier to sand down. Two would be sufficient and would probably have set up a little better. Mine came out ok, definetly not blem free but pretty damn good imo. Here are some pics while I was working on them and a few with the tails on the truck. Enjoy!!!

This is after sanding with 800 grit then starting to mask off the reverse light.

I used a new razor to carefully trace the area that I didnt want to be red.

This is after four coats of Testors Candy Apple Red. The light on the left I had just begun to sand with 800 grit.

This is after four coats of clear and no sanding. They look pretty good in the picture, but they had alot of blems and peel in them.

After wet sanding with 1500 grit for a while then hitting them with some Mothers Plasti Polish they looked pretty good. Not as glossy as I was hoping but not bad. I may try some 2000 grit and a different type of polish in the summer to give they that glass look.

Lastly a couple of pics of the tails mounted on the truck. Thanks for looking!!!

Old 12-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Import Moderator

great job, they look good
Old 12-10-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beastmode
great job, they look good
Thank you.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, those look really good! See, I would of drank vodka instead of that michelob light and would of screwed everything up. LOL Great job!
Old 12-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Nice job, they look great!
Old 12-10-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice....I will probably be doing that soon to my stock tails. I never liked the orange blinker and wanted to do away with it. How much did it cost out the door and can I get the supplies at places like walmart?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice man that looks great!
Old 12-10-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
damn, those look really good! See, I would of drank vodka instead of that michelob light and would of screwed everything up. LOL Great job!
Yup, vodka can mess up anything that has to do with motor skills. You can trust good ole light beer with just about anything.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, they look real good at about 5 feet. I will probably be the only one to notice the imperfections. So as long as I dont tell any one else its all good.

Originally Posted by SmokedSierra01
Very nice....I will probably be doing that soon to my stock tails. I never liked the orange blinker and wanted to do away with it. How much did it cost out the door and can I get the supplies at places like walmart?
You can get everything right at Wal-mart if you wish. The Testors paint is in the model car section. Sandpaper and polish is in the automotive section.

Paint: $6, one translucent candy apple red, one clear
Sandpaper: $9, three different grits
Polish: $4, use whatever you like

So maybe a little better than 20 bucks. Takes a few days to do because of drying time.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweet mang

Quick Reply: Candied tails!! PICs inside.....