Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Candy Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 03:08 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a write up about this a long ago(do a search). Same paint as the guys are saying, Testor's Transparent Candy Apple Red and Testor's clear coat.
Clean, then sand with some fine grit sandpaper.
Let dry. Repeat until desired darkness.
Sand, spray clear coat, let tack up for 5 minutes, spray another medium coat on.
Make sure each red coat dries completely. The drying is important.
Here are mine...
Old 03-07-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 12:41 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Some guy on FSC said he used the Testor's paint, then used some automotive clear. But when he sprayed that clear coat on, it got all wrinkled and messed up and he had to start all over again. So I don't know about the automotive clear.
Just use the Testor's paint and clear. No need to spend 25 for a quart of clear coat that will do the same job as the $3 can of clear will.
When you're done and it's all dry, get some fine grit wet sandpaper, get a spray bottle of water, and spray the tail lights as you lightly sand them. When you're done, polish and wax them and they will look
Old 03-08-2004, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

This may be a stupid question, but are you guys painting on the inside or the outside of the tails? I'm assuming the inside but want to make sure. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:51 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Outside of the tails
Old 03-10-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chingon
Some guy on FSC said he used the Testor's paint, then used some automotive clear. But when he sprayed that clear coat on, it got all wrinkled and messed up and he had to start all over again. So I don't know about the automotive clear.
Just use the Testor's paint and clear. No need to spend 25 for a quart of clear coat that will do the same job as the $3 can of clear will.
When you're done and it's all dry, get some fine grit wet sandpaper, get a spray bottle of water, and spray the tail lights as you lightly sand them. When you're done, polish and wax them and they will look
I used the automotive clear and it turned out just fine. Sounds like he didn't let the testors dry fully before spraying the clear.

And it won't do the same job as the $3 can of testors clear, it will do a much better job

I do agree about wetsanding them when done to remove any trash that might have floated down in them.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:07 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I've seen guys who spent $200 to get their tail lights totally painted red and clear coated professionally with automotive grade paint and clear. I spent less than $20 and there is no difference in the quality. I guess since people spend more money, they think it looks better, it's a psychological thing. But if you want to go ahead and spend more money than you need to, be my guest
Old 03-10-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen guys who spent $200 to get their tail lights totally painted red and clear coated professionally with automotive grade paint and clear.
I had my Smoked Euros done a shop here for $30. They are badass looking, IMO!
Old 03-10-2004, 01:26 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Yeah, I saw the pic of them. They look ****** awesome!
I guess it depends where you live, prices out here are outrageous
Old 03-10-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chingon
I've seen guys who spent $200 to get their tail lights totally painted red and clear coated professionally with automotive grade paint and clear. I spent less than $20 and there is no difference in the quality. I guess since people spend more money, they think it looks better, it's a psychological thing. But if you want to go ahead and spend more money than you need to, be my guest
I held the tailgate bezel i painted with "colormatched" spray paint and spray can clear up next to the one i did with dupont chromabase and automotive clear coat. The difference was night and day. Of course the "real" paint costs more, but you get what you pay for when it comes to things like this.

Since the testors is hobbiest paint i don't see it holding up to the sun well at all, or anything like that. I don't know, guess i like the peace of mind of doing things how i feel is right

Quick Reply: Candy Lenses