Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbon fiber cowl hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carbon fiber cowl hoods?

hey guys i was just wondering if any of yall knew if they made carbon fiber cowl induction hoods for an 01 silverado? i found a few stock style ones but im really lookin for a cowl. all i see on the market right now is steel...ive looked everywhere for a fiberglass but i cant find one anywhere

thanks

tj
Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

While c/f hoods aren't common, they're out there. You're gonna pay for em too, I know cause I looked.

Fiberglass is more common, & so therefore, they're are more makers of those.

Whether c/f or fiberglass, in case u weren't aware, there are race style (lighter in weight, less stiff) vs street weight hoods.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your looking for weight savings, make sure it is actually carbon fiber, not just wrapped
Old 08-28-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Valid point for sure.

Some places don't tell ya that. They just put a c/f outer over a fiberglass inner structure for appearance sake. Personally, I think "true bare" c/f is beautiful. But, know this, w/o UV inhibitors of some kind, it'll fade. Case in point, GM spent $60k / gal for what protects it's c/f from UV elements.

Also, many times hood makes tell to run hood springs rated to the glass hood, so it springs aren't so strong theycrack hood around where they attach.

And ... most hoods have a lower skin of a different material like steel for attachmt pts. like where back 2 hood springs & latches affix to hood.

If someone is makin an all c/f hoodtop to bottom, lemme know who. And if it fits our trucks, mine included. Cause truly, I'd like a c/f 2" cowl hood, tuff enuff for street, elements, & compatible for heat from engine too. I'd paint mine tho.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if someone out there makes a 4" fiberglass cowl hood, for a 2006 GMC. I can find 2" and 3",but no 4".
Old 08-29-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there is a full carbon fiber oem style for 1k and is not fiberglass wrapped, the other one i was looking into unfort. is braced with fiberglass and is not true c/f...only reason i want a c/f not just for the weight savings but i came up with a pretty cool design...but since they dont make one...doesnt look like its happening lol. and as for fiberglass...im having NO luck finding them except for cervin's ram airs...which id just like a 2in fiberglass, but in reality id like a 4 3/4, but no one makes em
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for fiberglass, keystone and harwood both make them
Old 08-29-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know of 1 or 2 makers of c/f. As for glass, besides Keystone & Harwood, they're others that make em for trucks. Some cater to the 88-98, some the newer stuff, but it's more limited number who make those. IIRC, 1 of which is VFN, but I'd have to look up the info again to verify. I also believe they say right on their site, they can also do in carbon. And they do offer some cowls over 2" like what you'd be lookin for. If it's not VFN, I can think of another. But again, some fiberglass makers do hoods for trucks, the newer stuff - say post '88. Some cater to '88-98, some newer are 99-up are for Chevy's, some GMC's. They're harder to find for '03-04 Avy style pickups like mine. The GMC's seem unchanged to me from '99 thru ? is it 05 or 06?

That said I really like the Ram Air Style like on say an '02 GMC.
Not the W30 442 style like they offer for mine.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did a ton of shopping and hunting and really never found anything I liked. I ended up going custom (glass panels onto OEM hood with modifications - see my sig for build pix)...I think there's actually a build thread. That said it weighs a ton. Now that I have the Vagon, I've been researching again...so far, my conclusion is that FG is better value than CF, but then it all comes down to who makes it and what reputatioon they have...there really isnt much out there frankly.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dhpro
... Now that I have the Vagon, I've been researching again...so far, my conclusion is that FG is better value than CF, but then it all comes down to who makes it and what reputation they have...there really isnt much out there frankly.
Why are u researching, if sellin the Avy? 2nd thoughts...
If by value, u mean u can accomplish the same lookin glass instead of carbon, true. Butr it'll never evr be as strong as carbon, or have the look if keepin c/f bare, nor the lite wtg.
But it's unfortunate the selection we have to pick from, as it's not a musclecar nor a vehicle turned into hot street car like a Vette, Camaro, or Mustang, etc.
Why do they have better pickins? Those are lighter vehicles, & the image is that a car is more race friendly; a truck is utility. That's my interpretation of those that make body panels, we get left out.

After, trucks can't be made to go fast right?!?

Quick Reply: carbon fiber cowl hoods?