Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Console Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Console Swap

OK guys I've done a search, but still need advice. I'm switching from a jumpseat to a full console, which I already have purchased. My truck is a 00 GMC regular cab I know that I have to replace some lower dash peices, but which ones? I've heard that you have to replace the glove box, and then I've heard that you don't have to. Can anyone give me some solid advice. Do I really need to replace them? Or can I just trim the peices in my truck now?

Also, has anyone had any luck wrapping thier console in leather?

Cheers
Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

not the glove box itself i dont think, but the lower dash panel the glove box attaches to.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to replace the part that the glove box door attaches to. Here is a thread on it. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...center+console

This guy just cut his dash instead of getting the new dash pieces. It still turned out good.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year truck is the console out of ? If it's from a 99-02, it's a direct bolt in. The newer style consoles require modding or replacing the lower dash panels.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by budhayes3
What year truck is the console out of ? If it's from a 99-02, it's a direct bolt in. The newer style consoles require modding or replacing the lower dash panels.
The console is from on 02 Tahoe. Thanks for the info guys. And Budhayes, if I go to test fit the console and it doesn't fit, it's all on you buddy

Oh, what size socket will get my seats out? The nut on it is a star pattern, don't know what they call em, the guy @ Autozone thought I was crazy.

Last edited by Rage_89; 08-30-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm the one that did the console swap in the link given above.

there was two different consoles for the 99-02 trucks, if your's mates to the dash it'll require some cutting. Some mated to the dash, some didn't. My swap was in an 03 so it'll be slightly different.

to remove the seats you "should" use inverted torx, I was able to use regular sockets (one took a metric size, the other took a SAE size), I don't remember the sizes, but you'll need a deep socket and it is possible.

advice if you have to cut the dash: I used a jigsaw and a dremel to finish it off. If I had to do it again I'd use a Saw-z-all, with the dremel, would have been easier to use.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me with a detailed picture of the problem and I'll help the best I can, I'll be unavailable this weekend though.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

If the truck is a 00 and the console is out of an 02, you don't need to cut anything. All you have to do is remove the panel in the lower center of the dash (I know some trucks had cup holders there) and remove the jump seat. After that, the console bolts in. Only the 03+ trucks require the new glove box piece or cutting to get it to fit.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:29 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Rage_89
The console is from on 02 Tahoe. Thanks for the info guys. And Budhayes, if I go to test fit the console and it doesn't fit, it's all on you buddy

Oh, what size socket will get my seats out? The nut on it is a star pattern, don't know what they call em, the guy @ Autozone thought I was crazy.
LOL, hope it bolts right up then. Yea, the seats are held in by inverted torx (can't remember what size for the life of me), but I've read that guys have used regular sockets/wrenches on them...not sure what size though, maybe 14mm? You'll need a 7mm (if I remember correctly) for the cup holder in the dash, and to mount the front section of the console to the dash. (if you don't have a cup holder, there might just be a panel there, not sure if it's bolted in or just pops out)

Take the seats all of the way out and the console bracket goes in first, with the seats next, on top of it.

Here's some before and after shots of mine that might help you out:

Before with jump seat and cup holder closed:

Cup holder open:

After:

Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rage_89

I'm pretty sure you need an E14 torx and a 15mm deep socket. I don't remember which one is front and which is back, but that's what I used.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Thanks fellas, I let you know how the install goes. I'm waiting to get it back from the interior place.

Quick Reply: Center Console Swap